headphone buyers database - opinions/help wanted
Oct 9, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #61 of 131
Headphone Buyers Guide - I like that one, thanks!

I registered the domain I wanted last weekend, and a single page place holder up, i'm not going to reveal it to anyone except beta testers until i'm happy that it's up and working. And it's not finished yet so even the beta testers don't have access yet
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #62 of 131
what about some system to name the best headphone of each type.
For example:
Best dynamic headphone: Senn hd650.
Best custom IEM: UE10pro.

Kind of like ''editors choice'' as used in many reviews sources.

Oct 21, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #63 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
what about some system to name the best headphone of each type.
For example:
Best dynamic headphone: Senn hd650.
Best custom IEM: UE10pro.

Kind of like ''editors choice'' as used in many reviews sources.

I could do that, but I subscribe to the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Right now the way you'd find this out is to use the power search feature, and tell it to rank the results by overall score. "Editors choice" or featured reviews might come along later, or maybe i'll just link to head-fi for in-depth stuff.

I'm still open to suggestions for names for the site - Headphone Buyers Guide is the best i've heard so far though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #64 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I could do that, but I subscribe to the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Right now the way you'd find this out is to use the power search feature, and tell it to rank the results by overall score. "Editors choice" or featured reviews might come along later, or maybe i'll just link to head-fi for in-depth stuff.

From what I can tell you seem to be on the right track as far as finding a good middle ground that will keep it simple yet informative.

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #65 of 131
It's up and running, if anyone wants to have a play. I've done a fair bit of testing but it's possible that it might still have a few bugs, if anyone has any problems please use the contact form on that site or reply/PM me here. The whole site was written by hand by me over the period of a few months.

There's not much in the database yet - that's where you guys come in
wink.gif
You can add manufacturers or headphones and then review them.

http://www.headphonereviews.org

If any mods are concerned with this being advertising, please contact me. The site is free and carries no advertising, and is meant to compliment the excellent advice on head-fi.

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #68 of 131
That's right, you're the first person who's not me or a beta tester to register
smily_headphones1.gif
Saxphile helped me out with testing, many thanks to him for pointing out bugs that I wouldn't have found myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Incidentally, i'm still doing a few little updates here and there, mainly around administration, but you never know. Also if people are waiting for approval for their reviews to go live, remember I live in New Zealand so i'm in a different time zone from most people. I'll get to them all within abuot 12 hours
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #69 of 131
Looks good, I'll definetly put up a review when I get my A500s.

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #71 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Commando, I have a question: what happens if two people add the same headphone to the database by accident?

It won't let you add two headphones with the same name. If someone adds a duplicate and misspells the name I won't approve the new headphone and i'll transfer any reviews of it over to the existing headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Looks good, I'll definetly put up a review when I get my A500s.

Thanks Azure, but as you'll read on the site i'm only accepting reviews from people who have experience with a good range of high end headphones. In my opinion having head one pair of A500s doesn't give you enough experience to be objective. If you have other experience I don't know about just join up and submit your review and i'll look it over
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #73 of 131
I tried a headphone wizard shot to get to Grados, when i found this:

Open, supra-aural headphones (we're not sure if any of these actually exist)

isn't that inherently going to sour folks on grados (btw i didn't get to any grados when i chose this - just some portapros. no grados up yet?)

Dec 5, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #74 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Thanks Azure, but as you'll read on the site i'm only accepting reviews from people who have experience with a good range of high end headphones. In my opinion having head one pair of A500s doesn't give you enough experience to be objective. If you have other experience I don't know about just join up and submit your review and i'll look it over
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm...how about having it have a large warning in red text in reviews made by users who don't have experience with a good range of high end headphones or something?

Dec 5, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #75 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Commando, have you thought about adding a "value" category to the headphone review page? As in, if they are worth the money spent.

That's a good idea. I might do that now before we get too many reviews in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I tried a headphone wizard shot to get to Grados, when i found this:

Open, supra-aural headphones (we're not sure if any of these actually exist)

isn't that inherently going to sour folks on grados (btw i didn't get to any grados when i chose this - just some portapros. no grados up yet?)

There are no grados in the database yet. Feel free to add them
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Hmm...how about having it have a large warning in red text in reviews made by users who don't have experience with a good range of high end headphones or something?

Sorry, but that's not the way I want it to work. The reason I did this is existing headphone review sites (eg cnet/zdnet) have reviews by people who bought things like MDR-V600s and think they're the best headphones in the world without having tried many. I'd rather keep these people out of the system to start with, because if they're in there they'll skew the stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back