Headphone Burn-Out?
May 6, 2005 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
I listen to my HD 497s a few hours everyday pretty much - will there come a time when they start to " die " . Ive hear this is the case for cheaper headphones, just curious about my 497s.

May 6, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 24
I doubt you'll ever see that happen, but I have heard of it happening to very old pairs of headphones. I believe someone with a pair of HP1000's had them slowly decline.

May 6, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 24
Its not gonna die. The only possible way I can see a headphone die is physical damage (accidents). Or it could be that if you don't use it for a long time, the rubber around the driver hardens.

Or you could wait for the half life of the Neodymium magnets

May 6, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
The only possible way I can see a headphone die is physical damage (accidents).

...which is generally called a blowout or "being blown" as in, "that speaker is blown", or "I blew that speaker and it was great."
tongue.gif

May 6, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
...which is generally called a blowout or "being blown" as in, "that speaker is blown", or "I blew that speaker and it was great."
tongue.gif

Did I mention D-EJ915 always speaks from expirience?
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
Its not gonna die. The only possible way I can see a headphone die is physical damage (accidents). Or it could be that if you don't use it for a long time, the rubber around the driver hardens.

Or you could wait for the half life of the Neodymium magnets

yeah, but I am afraid that the half life of Neodymium is something like 2.1 x 10^15 due to its highly stable neuclear composition. Little effect would be had on the performance of the magnets for a longer period of time than the universe has been in existance & structural damage would take ten times as long as that. Looks like you will have some good sounding cans for use at the restaurant at the end of the unverse, eh. Oh, wait, XxATOLxX probably already knew that the half life of Neodymium was a long time. Ipso facto, he probably wasn't truely worried about the magnets withering away and dying. That means that it must have been some kind of a play on words or something. Maybe even one of those...those...those joke things that humans seem to find so entertaining. Oh, dear, I fear I have fellin' rit into ther trap. It was just a joke and I went and got all serious, dern me, dern me and my little dog to.

confused.gif
Who was that on my keyboard & what he do with the real me...

May 6, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 24
Most headphones that I know die from physical damage inflicted on them by humans or animals. I have never owned a headphone that has lasted long enough to wear out or physicly break down due to elements in daily life. I am only 20 years old & have had my longest pair of headphones for three years. THis is not a long time by personal possesion standards, but it is all I have to draw on.

Just like anything, headphones get old with time.
rolleyes.gif
I doubt they are immune to getting old. I also doubt that they are made of anything more than normal stizuff is made of. As such I expect them to break down from use some time, but they seem to be of such a small skale in build that physical stress from the system of the personal electronic is far less damaging to the product than damage inflicted on it by its use & movment by living beings.

May 6, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 24
the voice coil can come unglued from the driver membrane over time..

or the driver membrane can become brittle and crack...

or your pet can eat the cord (less of a problem with the senn 497, which have a replaceable cable)

lots of stuff can happen to a set of headpohones. respect em, and they should last a long time, btu not forever.

May 6, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
I listen to my HD 497s a few hours everyday pretty much - will there come a time when they start to " die " . Ive hear this is the case for cheaper headphones, just curious about my 497s.

This only happens with low-end Sony gear, which die a day after the warranty expires.

They should be good for many years.

May 6, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
This only happens with low-end Sony gear, which die a day after the warranty expires.

They should be good for many years.

Whilst this is true of the Sony E888... It is also true of the Sennheiser HD320 from about 10 years ago... great for the first few months, and then steadily fell into oblivion...

...It was well reported at the time... so, its not a total rarity for this sort of thing to happen

May 6, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

Yes, this is also true on Ex71s.. Mine just break after 10 months of use.

May 6, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 24
I have phones that are 30 years old and are still working. That's include Sony.

The only things that wear out are ear pad and foam. And my dog chewed up the chord once.

There is no reason the phones shouldn't last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back