Headphone Burn-Out?
May 6, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #16 of 24
Sure, I have a pair of Grado's that are 12/13 years old and are still working beautifully. The foam started to disintegrate about 2 years ago so I replaced it and that's all she wrote. Man, these cans are great!
280smile.gif

May 6, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #17 of 24
Oh, this is a good thread for this I guess.

I read somewhere that etymotic, shure, and all those other canal phones wear out after about a year and a half?

Is this true?

I hope not, because I bought some ER6i's about 3 months ago.

May 7, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Most headphones that I know die from physical damage inflicted on them by humans or animals

Like that guy who posted up here that he got some cheapo computer speakers and wanted the sub only and so he used a screwdriver to obliterate the satellite's driver.

May 7, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
I listen to my HD 497s a few hours everyday pretty much - will there come a time when they start to " die " . Ive hear this is the case for cheaper headphones, just curious about my 497s.

Well, here's my take on it. I've had my 497s for a little over a year and have listened to them daily (At least 3 hours a day), plus an initial break in period of around 120 hours and they're still sounding just fine.

The main variables, as others have said, is environmental issues and how you treat them. Personally, I'm not wealthy and can't afford to be plopping down a lot of cash for new headphones every couple of months or so. Thus it is that when I get something I'm happy with, I treat it with care and respect.

Look at it this way, when it really comes down to it, headphones are fairly precise instruments. If you've ever taken a pair apart and actually looked at how the drivers are made (and what they're made of), it's a wonder they last as long as they do. Don't toss them around and beat them up and they should last a very, very long time. Ptobably the most fragile part of these is their cord (which can be replaced quite easily). You're more likely to get tired of them and want "better" headphones before you ever have to worry about wearing them out.

May 7, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Like that guy who posted up here that he got some cheapo computer speakers and wanted the sub only and so he used a screwdriver to obliterate the satellite's driver.

IIRC, it was a pair of scissors.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
i think the diaphram, which is supposed to be relaxed during burn-in, will continue to relax until it can't produce a good sound any more.

I agree that, if I had to take a guess, it would be the diaphragm that would eventually degrade. Either that, or the magnet would eventually ...demagnetize? I have no idea. I'd imagine that it would take quite a while for either of those things to happen. :p

May 7, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
oh, neodymium is a natural magnet, so it wouldn't demagnetize in a looong time.

Oh, oops. Sorry. :-\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back