Headphone burn in.
Mar 12, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #17 of 100
I bid 300 hours........   
atsmile.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 100
Hi, I once took possession of a pair of second hand akg 702, which the owner said had 100 hours of burn in. I'm no audiophile even now, but when I eagerly greeted the postman unwrapped the package and put the phones on, I was livid as I could easily hear distorted hi frequencies. I thought and hoped that this was down to a lack of burn in that they talk about on audio sites. So I left them on for 12 hours and when I checked later the distortion was gone. Obviously this was not a case of burn in, but I didn't realise at the time. It was months later when I learned that when you take delivery of new HP's you should put them in your airing cupboard so that they come up to room temperature. Being out in a van which is not heated and maybe coming from big depots and/or on cargo ships, planes etc, if they're imported, they are going to be cold and not perform at their best. This I believe accounts for SOME instances of alleged burn in, so how many of you guys have shared this experience?

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #21 of 100
Hi, I once took possession of a pair of second hand akg 702, which the owner said had 100 hours of burn in. I'm no audiophile even now, but when I eagerly greeted the postman unwrapped the package and put the phones on, I was livid as I could easily hear distorted hi frequencies. I thought and hoped that this was down to a lack of burn in that they talk about on audio sites. So I left them on for 12 hours and when I checked later the distortion was gone. Obviously this was not a case of burn in, but I didn't realise at the time. It was months later when I learned that when you take delivery of new HP's you should put them in your airing cupboard so that they come up to room temperature. Being out in a van which is not heated and maybe coming from big depots and/or on cargo ships, planes etc, if they're imported, they are going to be cold and not perform at their best. This I believe accounts for SOME instances of alleged burn in, so how many of you guys have shared this experience?

This is good info, never would have thought about that.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #22 of 100
I believe in burn in. I don’t think it makes huge differences but I notice small changes and they are always consistent with my ears. I think it’s more mechanical like drivers loosening up. But I consistently hear a small drop in treble and a small increase in bass over time with headphones. I have, however, never heard the opposite. To each their own.

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #23 of 100
What do you think of the burn-in apps? For example, there are "Moshi Burn-in Tool" or "Burn in Lab" or "JLab Audio Burn-in Tool"?
Is it possible to worsen the headphones by burning in with "bad" frequencies?
Unfortunately I can not order the "Ayre disc" as Ayre only delivers within the States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back