Headphone Burn-in
Jan 8, 2011 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 167

Robeats

New Head-Fier
I have a few questions about headphone burn-in. 

- Does the quality of the soundcard/Mediaplayer affect the burn-in process and it's results?
- Which is better to use for Burning-in headphones: Analogue sound or Digital sound?
- Can I consider 100 hours of burn-in a safe duration for all headphones? or Should it be shorter for low quality headphones and longer for high quality ones?
-Is it possible for me to flatten the response of a headphone by just burning in?
- Lastly, can I determine how long should I burn-in a pair of headphones by just looking at it's technical specs? (Example: Sensitivity, Impedance, Frequancy response, driver size etc.)

Is there anyway for me to flatten the response of a pair of regular headphones?

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 167
Answer in bold.

Quote:
I have a few questions about headphone burn-in. 

- Does the quality of the soundcard/Mediaplayer affect the burn-in process and it's results?

No, not at all, or very unlikely unless you soundcard has a problem to begin with.

- Which is better to use for Burning-in headphones: Analogue sound or Digital sound?

No difference, since any signal arriving to the headphones will be analog.

- Can I consider 100 hours of burn-in a safe duration for all headphones? or Should it be shorter for low quality headphones and longer for high quality ones?

Some headphones are known for needing 300+ hours, but IMHO any burn in will be done far far earlier, even 100 hours is useless.

-Is it possible for me to flatten the response of a headphone by just burning in?

To some extent, you may gain one dB here, lose one there (across the spectrum) but the basic tonal balance will not change.

- Lastly, can I determine how long should I burn-in a pair of headphones by just looking at it's technical specs? (Example: Sensitivity, Impedance, Frequancy response, driver size etc.)

No.

Is there anyway for me to flatten the response of a pair of regular headphones?

Yes, it's called an equalizer.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 167
Ok Thanks a lot man, big help. But what do you mean when you say "even 100 hours is useless"? Do you mean I should burn in more or less than 100 hours? Thanks again man. Peace 
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 167
I think that by 10 hours, 99% of the burn in is done, after that, it's just burning your brain in.

Let's imagine you are burning with a 20 Hz signal for 10 hours, your driver is going to do 720,000 cycles during those ten hours, and more as the frequency of the signal goes up.
Now imagine you are burning with pink noise which contains every audible frequency, ten hours is sufficient.

But that's my opinion.

When picking up a pair of headphones, I'd let it burn in one night or one day (depending on the time I pick it up actually). Then I listen to it for 10 hours (not continuously), and if it still displeases me I simply deduce that it's not for me.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 167
Tests on woofers have found that they do change slightly when first used and frequency response and other factors can change (I refer to that as burn in).

But, it is not clear to what extent such change is audible, particularly with tweeters and smaller speakers used in headphones. Nor to what extent slight production variations between headphones can also account for slight variations in frequency response etc.

Then testing has also found that if a speaker is rested, sometimes that can take days or even longer, it will return to its original condition. So burn in stays if a speaker is regularly used and can happen again and again if the speaker is rested.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 167
Burn in is done/over with within seconds when they test the drivers at the factory so by the time you get cans/speakers you probably can't even "burn them in". At the MOST a couple of hours would do it (and probably more like a couple minutes).

Just listen and enjoy right out of the box, and, if you don't, 1000 hours down the road you still won't like the sound (unless it "grows on" you psychoacoustically) because it will NOT change: get another headphone.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 167
Finally some reasonable thinking.  It's just the like the people who think an engine needs to be babied to break it in so they drive it like a grandma while the rings are seating and then they throw tons of boost at it afterwards and wonder why they have major blow-by.

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 167

Quote:
Finally some reasonable thinking.  It's just the like the people who think an engine needs to be babied to break it in so they drive it like a grandma while the rings are seating and then they throw tons of boost at it afterwards and wonder why they have major blow-by.

Agreed, please break all speed limits after purchasing...

On the Burn-In thing I usually let it play above medium all night....Dynamic wise. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 167
It does seem reasonable to play music/noise for a few hours through headphones to physically alter the speaker (if it actually does so as some makers say their speakers do not alter, but some definitely do) and allow it to settle in its 'burnt in' frequency range. Once you start to actually listen to it, changes are going to be you getting used to the sound and I agree with an above comment that if you do not like it after a few days, then you just do not like the sound of those headphones.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 167
Agreed, but personally I don't touch pink noise I'd be to scared it would mess up the drivers.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 167
Burn-in is ritual and ceremony. It's the difference between an elaborate marriage and tying the knot down at the courthouse. The end result is the same. It doesn't really matter.

For those who disagree, please provide one example of burn-in being done the wrong way and damaging the sound of a pair of headphones.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 167
ok mr smarty pants, here's your proof: 

when I tried to use DC for super quick burn-in, my headphones stopped working completely after just 20 hours of the burn-in process! 

Quote:
Burn-in is ritual and ceremony. It's the difference between an elaborate marriage and tying the knot down at the courthouse. The end result is the same. It doesn't really matter.

For those who disagree, please provide one example of burn-in being done the wrong way and damaging the sound of a pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back