Headphone Buffet Recommendations
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hicamajig

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Sennheiser HD 598 SR and a pair of vintage HD 424 as well as a Modi + Magni Schiit stack connected to my MacBook Pro primarily playing HIFI/Master streams from Tidal plus some FLAC. I am currently thinking of expanding my headphone collection to include more of a variety of sound by picking up 1-3 more pairs. Currently seeking recommendations that would create a good selection of sound profiles and are also available in Canada. I was casually browsing ATH M50X, the Sony MDR7506, maybe some classic AKG K240s or something, etc but am open to suggestions and am not afraid of vintage pairs. I like the idea of the Grado SR60 or 80s but they seem like they might be a bit harder to get in Canada.

Don't have a solid budget set but probably something that won't get me murdered in my sleep but less per pair if more pairs I suppose and definitely under $1000 total.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 10
The M50X is honestly a pretty mediocre headphone, wouldn't recommend it at the price.

What are you looking for, sound-wise, that your current sets don't do?

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 10
For a $1K budget, I wouldn't recommend Sony MDR7506. It is OK for sound isolation for studio/recording use, but I wouldn't call it a descent pair of phones. You may want to view some Youtube videos for sub $1K setup or $500 best headphones.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 10
If you think those are bright, you may not want commit to Grado unil you hear them first. I think Senn HD600 or HD650 would be more suitable if you haven't tried them yet (considered best bang for the bucks and slightly less bright phones, especially H6xx from Drop).

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 10
If you think those are bright, you may not want commit to Grado unil you hear them first. I think Senn HD600 or HD650 would be more suitable if you haven't tried them yet (considered best bang for the bucks and slightly less bright phones, especially H6xx from Drop).

I have been recommended these a few times now but was debating between staying Senn vs other brand but maybe I should pick up a pair of these and a Loki for my stack so I can just tweak based on my mood?

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, Grados are really peaky / bright as a rule. I've heard a few -- some people love them, I personally can't stand them. Like, literally painful to listen to for any length of time -- really engaging and 'fun' at first, then just grating. I feel the same way about most Beyerdynamics -- the Beyer peak is real, and it hurts me.

If you are willing to buy used, the Denon AH-D7200 are probably my favorite all-rounders and are exactly what you're describing -- still articulate and capable, but with a little bass emphasis and gentler treble. They typically run ~$5-600 USD in good shape used on the forums here or elsewhere. New they're $1000.

An open back alternative would be the Hyland Audio Jupiter One. Boutique built to order in the UK, $400 (Pounds? Euros? I dunno) plus shipping. Found mine in the FS/FT forums here, paid $300 or $350, can't remember. Bought based purely on reviews, really glad I did, will never sell. A little brighter than the Denons but not unpleasant. Super light and comfortable (like forget you're wearing them comfortable), great soundstage, a little less bass emphasis than the Denons, but to be expected with an open back. Simple construction, and the guy that makes them will sell any replacement parts you need for a fair price, so you should be able to keep them going effectively forever.

If you're wanting a real 'reference' headphone, something that could be used for mixing and production work, the most neutral I have are the Audio Technica ATH-R70X. Open back, super light and comfortable (not /quite/ as nice as the Hylands, but close), ruler flat response.

The HE-4XX are potentially interesting (or if you're willing to spend a little more for 'the same thing but better', the HiFiMan Sundara) as a first planar. You'll probably have to EQ to get the sound you're looking for though.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, Grados are really peaky / bright as a rule. I've heard a few -- some people love them, I personally can't stand them. Like, literally painful to listen to for any length of time -- really engaging and 'fun' at first, then just grating. I feel the same way about most Beyerdynamics -- the Beyer peak is real, and it hurts me.

If you are willing to buy used, the Denon AH-D7200 are probably my favorite all-rounders and are exactly what you're describing -- still articulate and capable, but with a little bass emphasis and gentler treble. They typically run ~$5-600 USD in good shape used on the forums here or elsewhere. New they're $1000.

An open back alternative would be the Hyland Audio Jupiter One. Boutique built to order in the UK, $400 (Pounds? Euros? I dunno) plus shipping. Found mine in the FS/FT forums here, paid $300 or $350, can't remember. Bought based purely on reviews, really glad I did, will never sell. A little brighter than the Denons but not unpleasant. Super light and comfortable (like forget you're wearing them comfortable), great soundstage, a little less bass emphasis than the Denons, but to be expected with an open back. Simple construction, and the guy that makes them will sell any replacement parts you need for a fair price, so you should be able to keep them going effectively forever.

If you're wanting a real 'reference' headphone, something that could be used for mixing and production work, the most neutral I have are the Audio Technica ATH-R70X. Open back, super light and comfortable (not /quite/ as nice as the Hylands, but close), ruler flat response.

The HE-4XX are potentially interesting (or if you're willing to spend a little more for 'the same thing but better', the HiFiMan Sundara) as a first planar. You'll probably have to EQ to get the sound you're looking for though.

Some slick looking options for sure. I know you have the Hyland Audio Jupiter but do you know anything about how it performs compared to the Saturn?

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Some slick looking options for sure. I know you have the Hyland Audio Jupiter but do you know anything about how it performs compared to the Saturn?

My understanding (again just based on reviews) is that the Saturn is a more traditionally 'Grado' tuning -- the guy started off modding Grados before building his own headphones from scratch. Probably more treble forward. The Jupiter is more 'reference tuning with some bass emphasis'.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Personally, I think the best value headphones out right now are the HiFiMan HE400i 2020 version for about 170 USD and the Philips Fidelio X2HR for around 150 USD. Both killer for the price. I would also recommend the Sennheiser HD6XX through Drop, if that's an option in Canada, for 200 USD. These are more expensive than the headphones you've picked out, but that money is well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back