Headphone break-in
May 13, 2006 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Atomicfission92

100+ Head-Fier
I had a couple question about breaking in headphones.

What are we trying to break in? The suspension of the drivers? or how the coils are seated?

If I just played say a 10hz track, on repeat, would that break them in? Because its moving quite a bit.

I know breaking them in does quite a bit to the sound (IMO). I was just wondering what are we breaking in. And what would effectively do it.

Thanks
-Atomic

May 13, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 8
You're breaking in the driver membrane and its connection to the driver body. It's a mechanical unit and does change over time.

I wouldn't recommend playing a 10Hz tone. Most headphones are not designed to reproduce frequencies that low and it may cause damage. Why risk it?

Others will disagree, but I've always let them break in naturally while listening to them. They all sound decent out of the box (in my opinion) and it's fun to listen to them settle in (again, in my opinion). Yes, headphones break in, but it just isn't that big of a deal. You're not going to damage the headphones or enjoy them less if you listen from day one. Just let things happen the way they happen.

May 14, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Others will disagree, but I've always let them break in naturally while listening to them. They all sound decent out of the box (in my opinion) and it's fun to listen to them settle in (again, in my opinion). Yes, headphones break in, but it just isn't that big of a deal. You're not going to damage the headphones or enjoy them less if you listen from day one. Just let things happen the way they happen.

I completely agree.

May 14, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 8
I agree with you both, I love the sound of my SR125's from the day I got them. They just keep getting better. I think I have about 120 hours on them. And they sound terrific and better then the first day I got them.

I did baby them for the first 10 hours or so, nothing overly loud. Just like a new car, no over 50 for the first 300 miles or whatever.

I know alot of bass (just bass music) isn't very good for headphones, but I was just going though some test tones before and the lowest tone I have is 5 HZ. And the Grados did pretty good that level. I would never leave them on like say 65 HZ, thats just too much movement and to fast for the little drivers, im sure they would be fine is short spurts but not continued use at that tone.

May 14, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 8
You could ask 5 different people what "break in" is actually breaking in and you'll get 5 different explanations.

I think the idea of break-in is theoretically plausible if we assume the elastic materials could prossibly change over time, but I've A/Bd a couple pairs and I didn't hear any change whatsoever.

May 14, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomicfission92
I know alot of bass (just bass music) isn't very good for headphones, but I was just going though some test tones before and the lowest tone I have is 5 HZ. And the Grados did pretty good that level. I would never leave them on like say 65 HZ, thats just too much movement and to fast for the little drivers, im sure they would be fine is short spurts but not continued use at that tone.

I don't think you actually heard 5hz tone, I posted a something about test sounds a while back in the member's lounge, and got a complex explanation why 5hz wasn't possible. here's the link to that thread

May 14, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 8
I started the breakin process with pink noise at a very quiet level, just so it gets used to having a signal. Turn it up to comfortable listening level for a few more hours... then pushing it to a louder volume, maybe about 95-100db at the ear (ie. not too loud!). I decided to drive some white noise through it after, and then went through a playlist starting with some simple songs, going through some of the "louder" rough songs with a lot of treble/bass to get it able to handle some of the dynamics of music.

Was it necessary? I'm going to say no, but I'd do it again!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back