Headphone Break in tones
Nov 10, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 12
20hz is the lower limit of average human hearing. it is also the lower limit of a standard cd recording.

16 khz is a crappy topend. human hearing goes to 20khz unless your ears are screwed up.

anyways, i break headphones in with a combination of various colors of noise, and music. some people comment that my music is like noise, so maybe thats why it works so well.

edited/added:
i am not a fan of pure tones. dunno, maybe im just overly cautious.

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 12
I can't see how it can hurt it.....and if it helps your break-in placebo, go for it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomasini
What you say guys? Can that damage my brand new Sennheiser HD 201?

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
16 khz is a crappy topend. human hearing goes to 20khz unless your ears are screwed up.

ER4 Frequency response: 50-10 kHz ± 2 dB; 20-16 kHz ±4 dB

Whoever likes the ER4 must have screwed up ears.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
ER4 Frequency response: 50-10 kHz ± 2 dB; 20-16 kHz ±4 dB

Whoever likes the ER4 must have screwed up ears.
biggrin.gif

Well yeah isn't the top end for the Super.Fi 5 pro's 16,000hz as well?

Nov 10, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 12
Don't waste your time fiddling with break-in tones and stuff. Yeah, I think break-in is real, I've heard it.

But I'm strongly of the opinion that you should break-in while listening. I'm doing it wtih new DT880s right now. They sound damn good out of the box and I am going to listen to them.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 12
Yeah I dont think break in tones make much sense since there isnt any impact. IMO a bass drum kick and a Kick @$$ bass line can break in a headphone a lot better than a 40Hz wav sample. Same way, cymbal crashes vs high freq samples.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Sweep tones do a good job of breaking in headphones as do white/pink noise. Peak levels aren't really that important. As far as high end frequencies go, there aren't really that many people that hear above 16k. If you're gonna tell me you hear the difference between 16k and 20k, I'm buying you a box of Purina Dog Chow.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
As far as high end frequencies go, there aren't really that many people that hear above 16k. If you're gonna tell me you hear the difference between 16k and 20k, I'm buying you a box of Purina Dog Chow.

I prefer the kind with chicken in it.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Well not to start another thread about burn-in....I do believe in burn-in to a point. I noticed my Sennheiser 595s did get less bright when I burned them for 24 hours. That helped with the bass response.

But I don't see how source material would really effect burn in that much. I mean any new headphone driver has got to be well designed. My belief is that those few hours of first use, those voice coils could start relaxing and settling in to life as a dynamic electromagnet. Frequency range is produced by the diaphragm/ and I would think that would be much less affected by burn-in. I don't see how 100+ hours can change the frequency range of a driver (unless it's a really poorly designed one). The diaphragm has to stay pretty resilient, so I really don't see how it can change sound after the first few hours of use. I'm still burning-in those 501s, Erik, and I'm not hearing any difference!

I just burned in my 595s with music I had laying around....I did that with the 501s too. Same music/ noticed burn-in with the 595s, not so much with the 501s (did feel a slight difference with it's bass opening up a bit.....but that could have been the placebo). So if burn-in is real, and it just loosens up the treble, that would be another indication it's more the voice coils (since the treble regions are mainly coming from the center of the diaphragm). Those are my thoughts anyway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Don't waste your time fiddling with break-in tones and stuff. Yeah, I think break-in is real, I've heard it.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I prefer the kind with chicken in it.

600smile.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
Sweep tones do a good job of breaking in headphones as do white/pink noise. Peak levels aren't really that important. As far as high end frequencies go, there aren't really that many people that hear above 16k. If you're gonna tell me you hear the difference between 16k and 20k, I'm buying you a box of Purina Dog Chow.

You owe me a box too then cause I can clearly tell the difference between 16Khz and 22.1Khz heheeh
rs1smile.gif
. Music sounds muffled when topping at 16Khz
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back