Headphone and speaker amp combo...whats out there?
Dec 16, 2015 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey gang, 
I've decided I'd like to try a higher power amp to run my HE-560 phones, but it also needs speaker outputs for my desktop speakers (Paradigm Atom Monitor v7).

Currently I'm using my Bottlehead SEX amp for headphones and a NAD D 3020 for the speakers. I need more power for headphones and would like to gain some desk space, so I'd be replacing both of these units. 

The headphones are the priority, and the speakers a secondary concern. It would also be a bonus if it was quiet enough for IEM's also. 

A RAGNAROK would be cool, but it's physically large and also too expensive. I'd like to keep this around $1K. 

Looking forward to your suggestions. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 10
Marantz PM7005 sounded pretty damn good with T1's when I tried it, better than with Schiit Asgard 2 or Musical Fidelity M1HPAP.  It has a separate headphone amp inside, doesn't just pull power from speaker outputs. Has a 2,8 and 5,6 DSD dac inside, similar to the one in the HD-DAC1.  As for speakers, I think it should do very well with your Paradigms, it's probably overkill for them.  There's also the Denon PMA-50, and that even has a low output impedance headphone amp for low impedance headphones like Denon's, so it should do well with Hifimans too considering it has plenty of output power, as do all speaker amps with headphone outs.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, those look nice but I'd rather not have one with a built in DAC. I just got a PS Audio NuWave DAC so I'd be paying for a built in DAC that I wouldn't be using.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 10
Have you tried to connect the HE-560 to the speaker terminals on your NAD? If you read up on the correct way to do this it's perfectly safe.
Connected to a speaker amp my HE-500 sounds better than any headphone amp I've had. If it works you can use a switch box to select either speakers or headphones.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 10
  Hey gang, 
I've decided I'd like to try a higher power amp to run my HE-560 phones, but it also needs speaker outputs for my desktop speakers (Paradigm Atom Monitor v7).

Currently I'm using my Bottlehead SEX amp for headphones and a NAD D 3020 for the speakers. I need more power for headphones and would like to gain some desk space, so I'd be replacing both of these units. 

The headphones are the priority, and the speakers a secondary concern. It would also be a bonus if it was quiet enough for IEM's also. 

A RAGNAROK would be cool, but it's physically large and also too expensive. I'd like to keep this around $1K. 

Looking forward to your suggestions. 

AudioGD Precision amps. Mind the settings - high gain pumps out 22watts into 25ohm loads at the headphone output.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/amp/Precision1/Precision1EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/amp/Precision2/Precision2EN.htm (Dual Mono)

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 10
  Have you tried to connect the HE-560 to the speaker terminals on your NAD? If you read up on the correct way to do this it's perfectly safe.
Connected to a speaker amp my HE-500 sounds better than any headphone amp I've had. If it works you can use a switch box to select either speakers or headphones.

I did try that when I had my HE-500's. 
It was plenty of power, but it wasn't really quiet enough and the soundstage was not as good as my dedicated headphone amp. It's a cheap amp after all and sometimes it shows. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 10

AudioGD Precision amps. Mind the settings - high gain pumps out 22watts into 25ohm loads at the headphone output.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/amp/Precision1/Precision1EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/amp/Precision2/Precision2EN.htm (Dual Mono)

Wow, what a beast!
Looks interesting, let me do some reading. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 10
  Marantz PM7005 sounded pretty damn good with T1's when I tried it, better than with Schiit Asgard 2 or Musical Fidelity M1HPAP.  It has a separate headphone amp inside, doesn't just pull power from speaker outputs. Has a 2,8 and 5,6 DSD dac inside, similar to the one in the HD-DAC1.  As for speakers, I think it should do very well with your Paradigms, it's probably overkill for them.  There's also the Denon PMA-50, and that even has a low output impedance headphone amp for low impedance headphones like Denon's, so it should do well with Hifimans too considering it has plenty of output power, as do all speaker amps with headphone outs.

I agree with derbigpr 100%. I also have a Marantz PM7005 and I have to say, the quality of this unit is insane for the price, especially if you consider it has 3 digital connection (USB-B 2.0 asynchronous, Toslink, Coaxial) with reference-class DAC CS4398 (HDAM-SA3 circuits vs the HDAM-SA2 in the HD-DAC1) and MM phono input. It sounds incredible with my HD 600 and B&W CM9.
If you need an all in one system you can't go wrong with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back