Headphone and Gear resolution - do you hear the glockenspiel?
Jul 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis at 160kbps, which is pretty damn reasonable sounding but not lossless?

I meant lossy, and yeah it's 160kbps which isn't bad - but I can tell the difference. Then again I can tell the difference between something played on foobar and something not. So the software may have something to do with it rather than just the bitrate.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant lossy, and yeah it's 160kbps which isn't bad - but I can tell the difference. Then again I can tell the difference between something played on foobar and something not. So the software may have something to do with it rather than just the bitrate.

Unless it's really poor software, I would say minimal at BEST, unless of course your referring to Foobar's ASIO capability, which takes processing out of the picture.

I still like my coverflow....dammit.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I've been sigged. I'm honored.

Seems hearing these isn't so equipment-dependent, I suppose.

You summed up the entirety of my anger focused at high school, the morons who populate it, and audiophile geekdom in a single post. I couldn't resist.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I've been sigged. I'm honored.

Seems hearing these isn't so equipment-dependent, I suppose.

Agree that it's there in all situations, high res or not.

But, as some responders here have reported that it didn't sound to them like what it is...a glockenspeil.

So, I do think you do need a nicer setup to hear the glockenspeil and not an "alarm clock" or "wind chimes" or a "Roland synth emulating a Fender Rhodes" for goodness sakes.

Cheers...

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DT770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree that it's there in all situations, high res or not.

But, as some responders here have reported that it didn't sound to them like what it is...a glockenspeil.
Cheers...

132550566_330f9b5aef.jpg

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #38 of 47
Do we know with absolute certainty that it is a glockenspiel (credited that way somewhere, for example)?

I'll listen to the record, too.

(don't get me wrong. I think it very likely is a glockenspiel.)

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #39 of 47
The only thing "real" in a Large amount of Jackson's (and Q. Jones for that matter) work is his voice and a guitar lulz.

Other notable Quincy Jones audiophile quality works include this:
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

0:48 for Headphone justice.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #42 of 47
Just checked out Human Nature: I hear it listening through BeyerDynamics DT990 --> cheap Beringer mixer --> Onboard soundcard --> 128kbps mp3-file - so I guess it doesn't take much :) It sounds a bit synthetic though, but honestly - it might be just that.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #43 of 47
I could hear the bell sound pretty clear from a youtube "audio only video" with my old Pioneer headphones amped through an old Fisher boombox.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #44 of 47
Heard it through a pair of old rusty Campbell soup cans (mind you, only the left soup can) connected with binder twine to a Bic pen stylus mounted on an old Dual Noresco Model 1229 turntable.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heard it through a pair of old rusty Campbell soup cans (mind you, only the left soup can) connected with binder twine to a Bic pen stylus mounted on an old Dual Noresco Model 1229 turntable.

Sweet!!

We'll take that to mean it was MEANT to be heard!!

And not 'dug out of the mix'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back