Headphone and Gear resolution - do you hear the glockenspiel?
Jul 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 47
neil-peart.jpg

I'm Neil Peart and I approve of the use of Glockenspiel in this thread, carry on.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 47
I can hear it. And that's when I'm playing it on Spotify, which is lossless. It's actually irritating and if I happened to be a Michael Jackson fan you'd have ruined that song for me! Thankfully I'm not.

I guess it's there as some sort of guide for his singing, although I'm surprised he needed it. I don't rate him greatly, but even I'd conceed him as talented.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #19 of 47
Cool observation (and good test of fones). I immediately put on the 25th edition through my ESW10's and the glockenspiel is right there VERY clear in the left can. And you're right, I'll never be able to listen to the song again the same way - thanks!
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #20 of 47
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Upon review of this I laughed that the OP thought it was a glock or any kind of real instrument, I can hear it fairly well in this HD clip here.

My best guess is a Roland Jupiter 8 emulating a Fender Rhodes.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool observation (and good test of fones). I immediately put on the 25th edition through my ESW10's and the glockenspiel is right there VERY clear in the left can. And you're right, I'll never be able to listen to the song again the same way - thanks!

I think it's a good test of phones, too. I was surprised how much 'further away' it sounded in a pair of Grado 80's than on a pair of PortaPro's.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear it. And that's when I'm playing it on Spotify, which is lossless.

Surely Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis at 160kbps, which is pretty damn reasonable sounding but not lossless?

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DT770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello donunus...

Do you mean the 25th Aniv Thriller re-issue?

That is the CD I first heard this on. Then confirmed it's on the original LP as well.

I mean the 2001 remaster with the interviews, not the one with fergie and akon

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My best guess is a Roland Jupiter 8 emulating a Fender Rhodes.

I definitely hear a digital instrument/an alarm clock or something on my cd

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #27 of 47
I hear it very clearly on my ATH-A900Ti, only in my left ear. When I move the left cup from my ear, there's no glockenspiel at all in my right ear. Very funny, although I don't particularly like this song. There are far, far better MJ songs for sure.

In my opinion, a much more interesting experience is listening to Protection by Massive Attack (the whole album), then to No Protection, the same album dub-remixed by Mad Professor, and then to the original album again. You'll hear tons more of all weird little sounds and bits. It's really cool how Mad Professor 'undressed' the album and seemingly only left the essentials intact. Really cool. Try it!
atsmile.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #28 of 47
I heard it very clearly on my DT220s on the LP version.
I lost my K271's 3.5mm-6.3mm adapter but if I find it I'll compare the distance.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #29 of 47
No need for a super rig here...I hear it perfectly in Spotify(320 kbps) with my Xtreme music and my HD600.It's a cool effect and completely intentional no doubt.But I think is one of those instruments used in Gamelan music from Indonesia,maybe a saron,something like a glockenspiel tuned in a different type of scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back