Headphone amps or integrated amps or what?!
Jun 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 28
I'm not sure of your budget, but have you considered buying a quality integrated amp either new or second hand? I can highly recommend the Creek Evolution integrated amp to you. It is a very well regarded piece of equipment. I researched the hell out of things and auditioned things before buying the Evo. I was moving from a really well respected NAD system that had the classic 2600A power amp with I think it was the 1400 pre-amp which was really very good. I had a brand new NAD CD player, forget the model, near the top at the time (2007).

The Creek doesn't even have tone controls, but man does it have a very nice, balanced sound signature. As for headphones, the headphone section runs right from the main amplification section with a large resistor in between so you don't get an "afterthought" headphone section. I have a really nice pair of Energy C5 speakers paired with my Evo and when using headphones I have some Grado HF2s.

Anyway, I have just ordered a headphone amp, the Valhalla, not becuase I need one, I just wanted to have a new sound signature. A great integrated amp should always be seriously considered when on a budget and the Evo provides you with 85 quality watts of British engineered sound. You can find the first generation of Evolutions used as people get upgrade itis, I know I have it, and if you can get it for a good price then your golden. It doesn't come with the phono section, but one can be added so no worries.

The audio shop I purchased mine from planetofsoundonline.com has a good article from the owner where he writes about the Evolution. Before buying it I thought he was perhaps being a little biased, but after 3 years with this little gem I have no regrets at all. Just something to consider. Good luck in your search.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 28
Thanks for your input Sonic Defender!
I actually went with the Nuforce Icon HDP but since that has the pre-amp outs, maybe
I can get a really cool sounding amp in the future if I'm not happy with the amp on that unit.
But doing some reading, it seems this little thing is really capable!

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #19 of 28
No problem, from what I have read it sounds like you made a very good choice. I had actually considered a Nuforce amp. Look forward to reading about how you like the amp. Cheers.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 28
Just testing out:

Audio Technica cheap LP player --> Line-out RCA to RCA-in of Nuforce Icon HDP

It sounds GREAT!!!
Listening to Jonah Matranga latest LP, track "You Belong to Me" and the thing I notice is
GREAT sound reproduction by the player (if it wasn't due to the low noise pops sometimes, I
would have a hard time telling if the output was a CD or LP). The headphone amp sounds great to my
with my Shure 440s but hopefully tomorrow or Friday I'll test CD via coaxial, MP3 player and PC contents
through USB.

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
Just testing out:

Audio Technica cheap LP player --> Line-out RCA to RCA-in of Nuforce Icon HDP

It sounds GREAT!!!

Your new toy joy aside, I think thats what a good DAC is supposed to do for cheap kit - Uncle Erik has posted several times that expensive CDPs are poor BFB next to the cheap CDP/DVD player hooked up to a good DAC. Its ironic that the standalone DAC was threatened when the internal DAC in CDPs improved in the late 90s - it would seem that the pendulum has swung.

This hobby remains a nightmare - when I had enough for the HDP, the Anedio D1 suddenly seemed like a better option. Now that I have enough for the D1, I find myself eyeing off the LCD-2. The only answer, as always, is beer.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #24 of 28
Amen to that

Quote:
Your new toy joy aside, I think thats what a good DAC is supposed to do for cheap kit - Uncle Erik has posted several times that expensive CDPs are poor BFB next to the cheap CDP/DVD player hooked up to a good DAC. Its ironic that the standalone DAC was threatened when the internal DAC in CDPs improved in the late 90s - it would seem that the pendulum has swung.

This hobby remains a nightmare - when I had enough for the HDP, the Anedio D1 suddenly seemed like a better option. Now that I have enough for the D1, I find myself eyeing off the LCD-2. The only answer, as always, is beer.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #25 of 28

Quote:

LOL!!!!

I tell you, I only came here to look for options for my next buy, and have already bought the
cans (Shure 940s), the Icon HDP, etc. Also bought the LP player, a couple of cheapo cables, and I'm already
eyeing some Sennheisers 650/598 (love the colors of the 598... how 'queer' is that!?!? but seems the 650 will be
better for home listening -- laid back)

I guess after a while I'll look for a better amp but for now, the Icon HDP should do!

And what's the deal with cabling and prices!?
Does sound really improve that much?!

P.S. I will also be getting a portable amp (JDSLabs one...)... PASS ME THE BEER!!!!

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #26 of 28
You sound like your having a great time. Don't be in a rush to upgrade your amp just yet. From my own, and ancedotal experience it sounds like many people plan how to improve on their current gear before they have even really enjoyed it! It is really hard to just enjoy music without analyzing the crap out of the components were using. I often wonder how different things might sound if we didn't have any expectations about the sound our pieces produced and instead just focused on listening? I have ordered a Valhalla that hasn't arrived yet and I am already thinking how it was the Lyr I should have ordered!!

Anyway, very easy to say just listen to the music and not your gear. Not sure if this holds true for others, but I find after the toys aren't new and I'm not driven with lust to play with them so much that I do start to listen again to the music more than the equipment. Cheers.

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 28
That's definitely great advice!
But trust me, I plan on enjoying these guys as long as I can.
Will probably add extra cans but that's it.
In fact, listening right now to:

Kaskade - Fire In Your New Shoes (Innerpartysystem Extended Mix)

Sounds SOOOOOO great through my 440s... it's not even at 12 o'clock on the HDP
and I feel as if I was in the club. Great definition, even great bass!!! (I have to try now the 940s on this!!!)
(Main PC --> USB --> HDP)

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #28 of 28
I will go to Grooveshark and see if I can hear Kaskade. If I like it I will buy the disc. If you haven't used Grooveshark I suggest you check it out. Also, everybody and their dog should go to youtube and search for Porkka Playboys Bohemian Rapsody. Just sooo good my friend. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back