"Headphone Amplifier With DAC" - iPhone Lightning to Headphone Jack
Jan 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #16 of 87
Apple certification means little. They used to license USB connectivity, however, they no longer have a proprietary USB connection.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #17 of 87
  The Skyn isn't just a regular Indiegogo project, and Mike (CEntrance CEO) have said before that it will be on the market no matter what.  Of course I don't know how he runs his business, but CEntrance is one of the few companies here that cloud source their design. 

Ok, thanks for letting me know! Do you personally think an external DAC is needed? I've read (though I don't understand the details) that the internal DAC in the iPhone 6 is quite good? When I get them, they'll be my first pair of CIEMs (ear impressions currently delayed in the mail) - so is an external DAC necessary? What's your opinion?

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #19 of 87

So are you for or against the Skyn? Would you recommend something else?

Although it looks to have many functions that are nicely packaged, however, my issue would be that when you upgrade your phone you will have to dispose of a $400 gadget that can no longer fit your new phone. It doesn't look to have a means to be connected to anything else.
I have a FiiO E18 which sounds very good, however, some folks get some brief interference when the phone switches cell towers. I don't sandwich devices so I don't get any. My critical listening occurs at home with open back cans using desktop DACs and Amps. There's too much noise and discomfort when traveling to fully leverage superb kit. IMO, under those conditions a better grade of Bluetooth can with remote media controls and ANC might be more beneficial. Yes at home that might be considered sacrilege.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 87
  Although it looks to have many functions that are nicely packaged, however, my issue would be that when you upgrade your phone you will have to dispose of a $400 gadget that can no longer fit your new phone. It doesn't look to have a means to be connected to anything else.
I have a FiiO E18 which sounds very good, however, some folks get some brief interference when the phone switches cell towers. I don't sandwich devices so I don't get any. My critical listening occurs at home with open back cans using desktop DACs and Amps. There's too much noise and discomfort when traveling to fully leverage superb kit. IMO, under those conditions a better grade of Bluetooth can with remote media controls and ANC might be more beneficial. Yes at home that might be considered sacrilege.

Very good point about the Skyn... didn't think about that...

The FiiO E18 seems to have good reviews (5*'s) but it's only £120? That sounds very good to me and I'd be more than happy to purchase it but DrSheep stated that it'd be worthless to get something under $200 ( £120 = $180).

Do you not agree with DrSheep then? Does a cheap DAC work just as fine as an expensive one? Or is an expensive one simply not needed? Bearing in mind this would be my first set of CIEMs and first DAC...

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 87

Very good point about the Skyn... didn't think about that...

The FiiO E18 seems to have good reviews (5*'s) but it's only £120? That sounds very good to me and I'd be more than happy to purchase it but DrSheep stated that it'd be worthless to get something under $200 ( £120 = $180).

Do you not agree with DrSheep then? Does a cheap DAC work just as fine as an expensive one? Or is an expensive one simply not needed? Bearing in mind this would be my first set of CIEMs and first DAC...

Once one hits a certain level of performance, the diffferences are not overly distinguishable nor Earth shattering, especially in a portable setting. IMO the biggest or most notable differences are in IEMs and cans. Of course there are cheap DACs that are miserable and to be avaoided at all cost.
Not sure if you mentioned, but which IEMs are you interested in?

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #22 of 87
  Once one hits a certain level of performance, the diffferences are not overly distinguishable nor Earth shattering, especially in a portable setting. IMO the biggest or most notable differences are in IEMs and cans. Of course there are cheap DACs that are miserable and to be avaoided at all cost.
Not sure if you mentioned, but which IEMs are you interested in?

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know.

I've already ordered them, from the 'thou-shall-not-be-named' company (I already got told off for mentioning them before). It was rather a spur-of-the-moment purchase because it was Black Friday and they had a sale on, but I think I made a good choice with their 10 driver model. I sent off the ear impressions mid-December via Royal Mail (bad choice...) and it's currently in Chengdu International Airport, but it's been there for 10 days so far so just got to wait it out. Apparently China's experiencing major delays... Wish I sent via UPS now but oh well.

I digress... 10 driver CIEMs, I'm guessing you know from which company I'm on about? Not sure if the 10 drivers will have any affect on which DAC I need?

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 87
Upgrade from 5/5S to 6/6+ for the Skyn is only $200.  And the FiiO E18 (and pretty much all other FiiO's) are not Apple certified, and CCK to an Andriod DAC is not 100% due to iOS update.  And why on earth would someone told you off on mentioning the CIEM company?

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #24 of 87
  Upgrade from 5/5S to 6/6+ for the Skyn is only $200.  And the FiiO E18 (and pretty much all other FiiO's) are not Apple certified, and CCK to an Andriod DAC is not 100% due to iOS update.  And why on earth would someone told you off on mentioning the CIEM company?

Apple certification for USB Audio means nothing anymore with iOS 7, actually they fixed that in one of the later versions of iOS 6. They now follow USB Audio Specs. My iTouch 5G works perfectly with 3 different DACs that I own that are not Apple certified.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #25 of 87
  And why on earth would someone told you off on mentioning the CIEM company?

A moderator took my post down (when I was asking for advice about the CIEMs in question) because he claimed they tried to self promote on the site, and now no one can talk about them... 
confused_face.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #26 of 87
  Apple certification for USB Audio means nothing anymore with iOS 7, actually they fixed that in one of the later versions of iOS 6. They now follow USB Audio Specs. My iTouch 5G works perfectly with 3 different DACs that I own that are not Apple certified.

Looks like you and DrSheep have a difference in opinion... but does my 10 driver CIEM need any specific DAC? I don't know if they need any more power or anything? Will your FiiO E18 work with them for example?

Some specs of the CIEMs, not sure if they make any difference?:

· Noise Isolation: -26dB
· Impedance: 26 Ω

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #27 of 87

Looks like you and DrSheep have a difference in opinion... but does my 10 driver CIEM need any specific DAC? I don't know if they need any more power or anything? Will your FiiO E18 work with them for example?

Some specs of the CIEMs, not sure if they make any difference?:

· Noise Isolation: -26dB
· Impedance: 26 Ω

I do not know of any IEM that requires an unusual amount of power. Do you also have the sensitivity spec handy? I doubt that they require a specific DAC, that shouldn't be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back