Headphone amplifier for HD 595
Dec 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 21
My major problem is that I can't listen with it more than 30 minutes. Even at normal volume, it hurts my ears. I don't like loudness.
The sound seems weak and loud and goes directly to my ears. Increasing the bass and decreasing the highs didn't help me too.
I think I need more gain or something like dynamic range compression. However, my source isn't great.
I prefer my speakers than it. I thought an amplifier can solve it
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 21
Have you tried applying replay gain or even normalizing your songs?

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #19 of 21
You have to use a media player that supports it. Many of us use foobar2000. Replay gain is a built in option for foobar. You just need to select your songs and right click to select Replay Gain. Then scan the selections and apply the gain. All the songs will be normalized to end the loudness war.
Wikipedia actually has a good list of replay gain compliant media players if you don't like foobar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_Gain

EDIT: J River media is listed there too. I've never used it so I don't know how to set it up. Try playing around with the options and right clicking on the selections to see if you can add replay gain that way.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #21 of 21
Its the latter. Its not a normalizer where it reduces perceived sound differences. Normalizers are not recommended as it alters the sound signature of the original track. Replay gain assigns all songs a +/- dB tag according to the average loudness of all the songs selected. This results in you not having to adjust the volume after every song due to it being too loud or soft. There is no loss in sound quality just to clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back