Headphone amp with Bass punch?
Jan 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 26
A headphone amp can absolutely improve the bass of a headphone. Headphones will have a certain bass signature (speed/impact), but headphones have different requirements for achieving their potential (harder to drive etc.) which is where the amp comes in.

Myself owning HD650 with the amps that I use (M^3/B22), the bass characteristics don't change as significantly as compared to the k702s that I also own. In comparison, I much prefer the k702s when driven balanced through the B22. Where the HD650s kind of reaches a plateau in terms of bass impact (when stepping from the M^3 to B22) the 702s just keeps getting better.

Concerning bass boost, I think it depends on what kind of bass you want. I built in the bass boost feature for my M^3 and while it makes the bass more prominent, it doesn't help much with impact. In other words, you can adjust it so the k702s sound more like HD650s in terms of bass, but it won't make the HD650 sound like k702s. Other amps might implement this feature differently- this is just my experience.

I think you'll definitely see some improvement by getting a headphone amp for your 650s (as compared to none), but it might not be as significant as what you might see with other headphones. I can't suggest many commercial amps (except for maybe portables), but either of the two amps I mentioned will sound great with your headphones if you can find them and they are within your budget.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #17 of 26
Thank every one for all help and recommendations

I bought a MF V3, and was not disappointed

I tested with a number of different kinds of music and I can say when playing it with heavy bass music as techno, dance etc.. it was a lot of bass and even enough for me
dt880smile.png

Next up for me is the X-CAN V3 Capacitor Upgrade, tube change (6H23N), Little Pinkie SE and maybe change the cable to silver dragon V2, but Iam not sure if this cable change is worth the money? It looks good anyway
smile.gif

Feel free to comment on my choice and future upgrades !!

/Johan
Lyssna
Läs fonetiskt

Ordbok - Visa detaljerad ordbok

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #18 of 26
Perhaps some one want to sell a silver dragon V2 cable to me ?

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #20 of 26
I can see where threads like this come from, but its antithetical to the whole 'audiophile purist' path that many here claim to be walking. The 'perfect' amp, like the perfect source, isnt bass boosted- its a window into the music as laid down by the musicians. Or so the theory goes.

I find it interesting that Purity Audio felt compelled to mod the K.I.C.A.S. after some people at a meet complained that it was too 'clinical' for their tastes, and they wanted more warmth and bass response, and we now have the Caliente. You will read similar criticism of kit like the Benchmark DAC, despite the fact that the 'serious audiophile' media has repeatedly fallen all over themselves to hand it every award they can find in their trophy cabinet.

Personally, I prefer the Marantz house sound over many of their more analytical competitors, but then I dont throw the 'A' word around - as a music lover, I just want something that is dynamic and enjoyable. For me, that has little to do with strapping a sub to my head, but C'est La Vie.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
I can see where threads like this come from, but its antithetical to the whole 'audiophile purist' path that many here claim to be walking. The 'perfect' amp, like the perfect source, isnt bass boosted- its a window into the music as laid down by the musicians. Or so the theory goes.

I find it interesting that Purity Audio felt compelled to mod the K.I.C.A.S. after some people at a meet complained that it was too 'clinical' for their tastes, and they wanted more warmth and bass response, and we now have the Caliente. You will read similar criticism of kit like the Benchmark DAC, despite the fact that the 'serious audiophile' media has repeatedly fallen all over themselves to hand it every award they can find in their trophy cabinet.

Personally, I prefer the Marantz house sound over many of their more analytical competitors, but then I dont throw the 'A' word around - as a music lover, I just want something that is dynamic and enjoyable. For me, that has little to do with strapping a sub to my head, but C'est La Vie.

On the flip side, how often do you hear an "audiophile" listen to alternative rock, pop, rap, electronica, etc?  Wanting everything to be completely neutral works great when you listen to 90% classical music and the closest thing to modern music you listen to is Sarah Mclaughlin

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
On the flip side, how often do you hear an "audiophile" listen to alternative rock, pop, rap, electronica, etc?  Wanting everything to be completely neutral works great when you listen to 90% classical music and the closest thing to modern music you listen to is Sarah Mclaughlin

No argument from me, friend, but try posting that on a couple of the boards that cater to the high-end audiophile. I *think* the theory is simple enough - once you have coloured the sound at some point in the chain, how can you ever be sure that what you are listening to bears any relationship to the music on the original recording ? The other argument, and I think it has merit, is that you can easily find yourself with a mismatched hodgepodge of a system, endlessly trying to compensate for a 'flawed' link in the chain. I find it interesting that when NAD released the C375BEE, it seemed to split reviewers straight down the middle - half loved the bass punch and half loathed it. Such is life - you just wont please all of the people all of the time.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #23 of 26

Neutral is the only way to obtain truly high fidelilty sound its also the best solution to work for all different musics.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:

Neutral is the only way to obtain truly high fidelilty sound its also the best solution to work for all different musics.

All of the music I described would sound like total crap on a "neutral" system regardless of how "high fidelity" that system is.  There is another variable at play here, and that is called "fun".  If you derive your enjoyment from trying to achieve some sort of mythical level of sonic perfection, then more power to you.  Most of us listen to music for entertainment purposes.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #26 of 26
Get a set of cans that sound great for your ears, if you amplify garbage you just get more garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back