Headphone amp with a "mono" switch
Nov 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JulesK

Head-Fier
Does anyone know of a high-end headphone amp that has a "mono" switch (i.e., that will combine both channels before outputting to the headphone jack)?  I recall seeing one somewhere on this site, but can't seem to find it again, and I wasn't having much luck searching this forum (but I may not have been doing the best job of that).  Because of a hearing issue, I would like both channels combined so I hear both in the left earcup of a pair of headphones.  I realize that this may really hurt AQ, imaging, depth, etc., but it's better than not hearing what's on the right channel.

Many thanks!

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 9
SPL Auditor/Phonitor both have the mono switch you are looking for:

http://spl.info/produkte/kopfhoererverstaerker/auditor/kurzinfo.html
http://spl.info/produkte/kopfhoererverstaerker/phonitor/videos.html

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 9
Not ideal, but they will take an RCA to XLR adapter for input :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Jules, have you done yourself a favor and purchased an SPL Auditor/Phonitor yet?  I can't get enough of the pairing with my HE-500's.
Regarding the adapters, here is what you can use NA2FPMF.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Jules, have you done yourself a favor and purchased an SPL Auditor/Phonitor yet?  I can't get enough of the pairing with my HE-500's.
Regarding the adapters, here is what you can use NA2FPMF.

Not yet.  I wrote Beyerdynamic, and they said that you only need to bridge the output jacks on the A1 amp to make it run mono, which is perfect for me.  (Auditor with XLR-RCA adapters would do the same thing, but I've read that running it unbalanced isn't ideal.)  Anyway, I'm probably going to go with the A1 amp, assuming I can find one at a good price.

Many thanks for the great advice re. the Auditor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back