Headphone amp to push Sennheiser HD600's
Dec 2, 2002 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

doeboy

New Head-Fier
I was looking at the HeadRoom Total AirHead amp for around 200 dollars to push them but I think I need some good opinnions from people that know. I dont wanna spend an arm and a leg on an amp but a good one so i get the entire range of sound and get it well. I listen to mainly techno if that has anything to do with it. THanks a lot for your help.

Dec 2, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 14
I was looking at the HeadRoom Total AirHead amp for around 200 dollars

I have personally used both the Total Airhead and Porta Corda with the HD600's. The Porta is better IMO. New Porta Corda should be even better and cheaper than Airhead.

Dec 2, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 14
fyrfytrhoges has a good point. If you can stretch that budget a bit, you can buy a headroom little (www.headphone.com). This amp is on the cheaper side, and is upgradeable, so if you're ever in the mood to pour some more money into your system, you can easily do it.

But if I were you, I'd try contacting one of the DIYFSE builders and seeing what they can do for you.

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 14
i vote that he get a little
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 14
A more than decent META42 is in your price range; it very likely produces much better sound than do the Porta Corda, Total Airhead or CHA-47. Contact JMT or Eric43 (or maybe Tangent, though might still be booked) I can attest to JMT's handywork which is evident in my CHA-47- excellent craftsmanship.

Dec 3, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 14
I listen to trance/electronica music and I drive my 600s with a Little. So far, it's worked perfectly and the bass sounds great to me...probably because it's my first amp and have nothing to compare it with. I will say this though, I can really hear all the little details in each song and the music isn't overwhelmed by booming, rattling bass like it would be with crappy speakers. And the Little is small and cool-looking too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 14
doeboy

The next question would be; do you want a portable or home based amp, or possibly a combination of the two?

Airhead, Porta Corda, and I understand Meta 42 can all be both battery and 110v powered. The little is 110v only.

I am currently using a Grado RA1 with my HD600's with good results.

One issue with the commercial amps is that most dealers offer a 30 day return policy which lets you try before you buy.

My advice would be to order a couple amps and compare them at home in your own system. No more than three though or you will just get confused.
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
The little is a sweet amp, but it lacks the bass of it's big brothers.

could you elaborate here, KR? I've found that although the little doesn't have the bass of its bigger brothers, it definitely stands up to compareable amps in this price range in that regard.

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by oldguy

I am currently using a Grado RA1 with my HD600's with good results.

IMO this particular combo doesn't get enough discussion. I did a comparison last weekend (not posted yet) of the Corda HA-1 and Grado RA-1, using RS-1 and HD-600 headphones. All were good, but the combo that I liked best and would keep if I could only keep one was the RA-1/HD-600. It got the key elements in the midrange right better than any of the other combos, and I found myself drifting into just listening to the music with this combo more than with any of the other permutations.

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
IMO this particular combo doesn't get enough discussion.

Here here Hirsch! Some people are under the impression that the Senn's are too difficult to drive owing to the high impedence.

Not so. In fact, they are an easier load for an amplifier than Grados. As for battery life with the Senn's, I notice very little difference between the HD600's and my former SR325's i.e. about 50 hours at my lowish listening levels.

I have compared the following amps with Sennheiser HD600s-- Headroom Little, Creek OBH11, Headroom Total Airhead, Porta Corda & Grado RA1. Obviously, I chose the Grado but my own ranking of the others would be ;

1. Grado RA1
2. Porta Corda
3. Creek OBH11
4. Headroom Little
5. Headroom Total Airhead

Just my opinion

Dec 4, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

could you elaborate here, KR? I've found that although the little doesn't have the bass of its bigger brothers, it definitely stands up to compareable amps in this price range in that regard.

When I said the little's bigger brothers, I was refering to the Maxed Out Home, Max, and Blockhead.

The Senn HD600 with Red cables and the Grado RA-1 is my current set-up, and will be for a long time
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back