Headphone amp to pair with HRT MS II, HD 600 cans, and powered speakers (A5)
Feb 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

withanx

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a headphone amp in the $300 range to fit nicely into my current setup.

I have a HRT Music Streamer II DAC, AudioEngine A5 speakers, and just recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 cans.

I'd like something I can plug into this existing setup and not have to unplug anything to listen to headphones.

I was looking at these 2 possibilities, but any other recommendations are welcomed:

Matrix m stage - I like that there is RCA input and output, so it can be used as a preamp and actually improve the sound of my A5's while powering a pair of cans when I need it to.
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-c-67.html

Schiit Asgard - I've heard some crazy claims about the quality of this amp for $250, I'm a bit hesitant because I would need to reconfigure my setup when I want to listen to it.  If it's really as much better than everything else in the price range, this inconvenience will have to be dealt with since sound is obviously my #1 priority.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 6
Nobody has any advice?  I think I've ruled out the Schitt Asgard.  As great as it sounds from reviews, I really need to be able to quickly switch back to speakers when needed.  Will the Matrix m stage be a good pairing for the HD 600's, or should I look at another amp?

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Also use a HRT MS II into Little Dot III connected to Sennheiser HD 650.
You can use the Little Dot as pre amp with your stereo and easily switch between speakers and headphones.
Sound of the Little Dot is quite good after burn in and with better tubes.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 6
so wierd....

I have hrt music streamer, the audioengine a5 and thinking about getting the hd600 but i already have the schiit asgard. concerning the switching inputs problem, i decided to use the A5 as tv speakers and just use headphones at my desk. worked out nicely since the a5 were too big my room anyways.

good luck with that :)
get a bottlehead crack (w/ speedball) thats next on my list :)
happy listening

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Haha, I also use HRT MS II into Schitt Asgard and HD600. As with silversurfer616 I just use the headphone amp as a preamp for my powered speakers. This means all you have to do is unplug the speakers from the amp, and plug in the headphones. Can't get much easier than swapping one cable for another.

This amp is definitely worth the money. Sounds great with HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back