Headphone Amp Suggestion please
Nov 9, 2010 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

guayabound

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I have a couple of random things lying around and am interested in upgrading my computer based music station. I live in a two floor studio/loft apt and the smaller upstairs space is where I will be putting all this together.
Set up thus far:

Computer > Blue Circle USB thingee > AudioEngine A5 speakers

My upstairs center has to be small and very versatile. I play keyboard, so I have my keyboard wired directly into my Audioengines which allows me to play whether or not my computer is turned on. I like the practicality of my current setup. The "thingee" doesnt need to be plugged in...it runs right off the USB power, which means less cables less clutter. The problem with the thingee is its sort of stuck in limbo. Its not a really good dac and its not a really good headphone amplifier. I am looking for an improvement to both aspects of this system, while maintaining simplicity.

I also have a Nixon USB (non tube) DAC, that I could implement in this system. So I have two ideas thus far:

a) sell the thingee. Replace it with the Nixon DAC and then buy a sub $300 headphone amp. Computer > Nixon DAC > Headphone Amp > Audioengines. This headphone amp would have to mate well with the Nixon Dac and the Audioengines. 
Im thinking the 'Matrix M". It seems to be a decent Headphone Amp and has Pre-Amp functionality. Other recs?

b) Sell the thingee. Sell the Nixon. Buy a Wavelength Proton. It seems to do everything I want.

Help!

thanks,
J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back