Headphone/ amp recommendations
Jan 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pumelman8

Head-Fier
Hi there,

I was wondering if i could have help on a pair of headphones. I've currently been looking at the sennheiser hd600/ hd650. The prices are the same at the moment and was wondering if you could help me choose between the two/ offer a better alternative at a similar price range. I usually listen to some alternative/ electronic/ singer songwriter stuff so a fairly wide genre range. I appreciate a good bass level but also good mids and detailed highs. My current headphones are the audio technica ath-m50x and grado sr-80i without an amplifier and I would like a headphone with a pronounced bass of the ath-m50x but with the detailed mids and soundstage of the grados. I would like smooth and detailed mids also if thats possible lol.

Also could you recommend a headphone amplifier pair with one of these headphones? I've currently been looking at the jds labs element or schiit stack/ O2+ODAC and leaning towards the element if that gives an idea of price range.

Many thanks

Pumelman8

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 9
Can't go wrong with HD650 + Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Magni 2 Uber 

HD600 is bit more forward in the upper midrange and a bit less resolving. These are pretty close anyway,

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi,
what are your thoughts on the JDS labs Element? seems to have a similar or better performance to the O2+ODAC in a cleaner design. How does the schiit stack compare to the O2+ODAC?

Cheers

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 9
The HD600 is my choice if you don't want an abundance of bass. Since you do, yeah, for the HD650.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Either of those are good choices.

I'm currently using the Maverick Audio D1 Plus DAC & Amp. It's quite nice. But I'm planning to upgrade in a few months. I want to hear my HD600 on a fully balanced system. The Audio-GD NFB-28 will likely be my next purchase. That's out of your price range, but maybe one of their other products will excite you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back