Headphone Amp Recommendations
Feb 14, 2008 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JimSmiley

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a 5.5gen Ipod and I'm looking for a portable amp to pair it with. I'm using Grado SR-225 headphones. I would also like some recommendations on a Line Out Dock cable. I can't afford to have it I-Moded just yet, but I might in the future, and I would like to keep the same amp. I realize I will have to get a new LOD cable.

TIA

Jim

Feb 14, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 16
ask turbo to make you a nice lod. this stuff is pretty nice looking, im about to order a lod for my ipod from him soon. what is your budget on an amp?

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Why not just do iPod to SR225 directly and enjoy the bliss? Amp not required to enjoy headphones like Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just do iPod to SR225 directly and enjoy the bliss? Amp not required to enjoy headphones like Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

x2.

I run the RS-1 straight out of an iPod and love it. You don't need anything more.

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 16
Straight out of the headphone jack or do you use the line out?

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 16
Right out of the headphone jack. Have you not tried that yet? Man, I wish I could collect a penny every time this kind of thing happens... (that is, people asking about amps when they don't really need one and haven't even tried their setup without one)

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 16
I definitely agree with the "at least try what you've got" advice. If you don't, you won't even have anything to compare to when you bring another component into the chain. All that being said, I run ALO's bling bling dock from my 5.5G iPod into a RSA Hornet and I really couldn't be happier (at least until I bite the bullet and try the iMod). Both ALO and RSA are great companies wiht great customer service and they stand behind their products.

I haven't had any other dock to compare the bling bling with, but listening with the Hornet vs. without the Hornet is an eye opening experience to say the least.

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 16
My grado 225s sound terrible out of my 2g nano. they sound much better out of my macbook. i wonder if the newer ipods sound better than the older ones.

i'm still trying to figure out if the grados will be better with a dac/amp or amp...there seem to be conflicting opinions on that.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 16
Asr-you're exactly right. But I have listened to my headphones through an Ipod headphone jack and was none too impressed. I'm hoping the DAC in the 5.5gen makes the difference. I may not even need a amp, but I like toys and comparisons...you know-switch it up a bit.

I'm getting a good sound plugged into a M-Audio Audiophile Soundcard, but I want something portable.

Thanks Bigjppop..I've read good things about the RSA SR-71 in Stereophile, I'll check out the Hornet..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back