Headphone AMP recommendation for Grado PS1000
May 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Lazyboy_sg

100+ Head-Fier
Dear head-fiers
L3000.gif

I'd like to seek some opinion on an headphone that will go well with the Grado PS1000. I don't currenty own any amps except for portable ones and I'd like to get an amp that goes well with Grados and Audio Technicas. I currently own the ATH-W5000, ATH-ESW10JPN, Grado RS-1i and Grado PS1000 (soon).

I mostly listen to audiophile tracks, female vocals in particular, jazz and occasional Pop, R&B. I enjoy good seperation, wide soundstage and warm/lush vocals.

I'd pretty much decided that I am going to get a tube amp. At the same time, I am also in the market for a good DAC. My preference is to have a DAC as a source into my amp, and I prefer my source to be neutral, good clarity, detail and as little colouring as possible.

My current choices for the DAC are:
- Lavry DA10
- Lavry DA11
- Benchmark DAC 1
- Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (what I am currently leaning towards)

My choices for amps are:
- EAR HP4
- Woo Audio 5 LE (stock or max) (1st choice but can't get over the $1100 caps upgrade and the $500! shipping)
- Woo Audio 6 SE Max
- Yamamoto HA-02

- Being able to drive both high and low impedence CANS is a plus.
- Having balanced input/output is a plus.

Would appreciate anyone's suggestion of a good combo/match for consideration. or in other words, HELP!
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks in advance.

May 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 12
Your answered your question already, EAR HP4, dont look further. Oh, you need DAC as well, find some which is transperent enough to compliment EAR, done.

May 17, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 12
The HP-4 uses the short bottle version of 6SL7. This limits the tube rolling choices. Besides the stock tubes picked for the HP-4 is already very good match to the HP-4.

Of course, if you want to tube roll, you can. There is no big deal opening up the HP-4.

Regards,
F. Lo

May 17, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions. Fcklo, any experience on the synergy betwwen the ATH-W5000 and Denon D7000? I also own these CANs.

Oldblueeyez, thanks for another recommendation. Will certainly look into it.

May 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 12
For DAC option, I can say DA10 plays very well with most of my Grados, even through the internal headphone amp.

May 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 12
I would kind of like to know what would be a good choice for the PS 1000s too. Of course there is not going to be a lot of feedback since hardly anyone has it yet. I'm going to start mine off with the MPX3 Slam, but I am willing to get something else if it is a better fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back