headphone amp or receiver?
Apr 27, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #31 of 34
I don't think that the class of amplifier is determined by it's power supply; for ex. Headroom offers you a choice of a linear or a switched-mode power supply with their Desktop amps, Class A or Class A/B depending on module. The Red Wine Audio amps use batteries to power their Class D amps.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that the class of amplifier is determined by it's power supply; for ex. Headroom offers you a choice of a linear or a switched-mode power supply with their Desktop amps, Class A or Class A/B depending on module. The Red Wine Audio amps use batteries to power their Class D amps.

I don't know. I just know that it seems like Class D and "switching" seem to go together. Here's what Wikipedia says:

Quote:

A switching amplifier or class-D amplifier is a electronic amplifier which, in contrast to the active resistance used in linear mode AB-class amplifiers, uses switching mode of transistor to regulate power delivery. The amplifier, therefore, features the high power efficiency (low energy losses), which additionally results in lower weight by eliminating the bulky heat sinks. Additionally, if voltage conversion is necessary, the on-the-way high switching frequency allows the the bulky audio transformers to be replaced by small inductors. Low pass LC-filtering smoothes the pulses out and restores the signal shape on the load.

Class D amplifiers are often used in sound reinforcement system power amplifiers, where a high output is required. The Crest Audio CD3000[1], for example, is a Class D power amplifier that is rated at 1500 watts per channel, yet it weighs only 21 kg. A small number of high-output bass amplifiers also use Class D amplification technology, such as the Yamaha BBT 500H [2] bass amplifier which is rated at 500 watts, and yet it weighs less than 5 kg.

The term "Class-D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. The quantization of the output signal at the power stage can be controlled by either an analog signal or a digital signal. Only in the latter case would an amplifier be using fully digital amplification.

Tim

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #33 of 34
I am not an expert on this either.

Just guesses here.

I thought the whole point of a switching power supply forms the basis of this new class of amps called "digital" amps.

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #34 of 34
Switching could be descibed as digital, FETs are turned "on" or "off". I've never heard anyone refer to a switching power supply as a digital power supply. I'm guessing it has everything to do with marketing. Everything is getting the digital label slapped on it; I even have some stereo RCA interconnects that are labeled digital.

A power supply's job is to provide a steady supply of DC. An amplifier amplifies a signal (we just care about 20Hz to 20KHz for audio).

Also from Wikipedia: A switching amplifier must not be confused with an amplifier that uses an SMPS. A switching amplifier may use any type of power supply but the amplifier itself uses switching of output devices though to achieve amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back