Headphone Amp Of Note? Anyone Heard This?
Oct 24, 2003 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
This amp has received some extremely good word of mouth, but, as in most high quality integrated amps, I had assumed it either had a worthless headphone section or, more likely, none at all. Happened to stumble across this section and was intrigued that I'd never seen anyone here even mention having checked one out given what it has to say about the headphone section quality. Has anyone ever auditioned one of these? Someone should, methinks. Just not me, I'm already on an all Kraft Mac and Cheese and ramen noodle diet thanks Head-Fi!

http://www.portalaudio.com/headphone_use.html

Not to mention (please note this John Madeiros <g>) a 60 day free home trial!

JC

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 9
Wow, I took a look at your profile and while it sure seems our main systems have a lot in common, I'm afraid it doesn't look like you've been driven to Ramen by your headphone rig!
biggrin.gif

My understanding is that this means that you need to go out and take one for the team! Come on, you know that's why you posted, you just wanted someone to tell you to go for it! Well, I'm just that guy, Go Nightfall, Go! And you have a 2000 word report on your evaluation due in 60 days!

EDIT - BTW, nice taste in your main rig!

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 9
I quote from the site:
"The Panache headphone output does not differ from the main output path except for the addition of a simple protection device."
Which probably translates to resistive network derivation of headphone output from the loudspeaker output.
That doesn't mean it's bad. But it's nothing new. I'm using the same kind of output on a Fisher 800C tube receiver circa 1963 and it sound great with my HD600s.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 9
There were some posts about 2 years ago. Do a search.

60-day eval period seems reasonable, especially if you need to drive speakers too.

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Originally posted by gpalmer
Wow, I took a look at your profile and while it sure seems our main systems have a lot in common, I'm afraid it doesn't look like you've been driven to Ramen by your headphone rig!
biggrin.gif

Oops,thanks for reminding me I havent updated my profile to reflect the last six months headphone system upgrades. Read the updated version and understand why I'm on a ramen diet!

JC

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
[EDIT - BTW, nice taste in your main rig! [/B]

Yours isnt too bad either. Go Legacy! I love the Focus and havent heard anything that made me even consider replacing them (even IF I could afford it).

Oct 26, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
There were some posts about 2 years ago. Do a search.

60-day eval period seems reasonable, especially if you need to drive speakers too.

Thanks for the info jpelg. Here is the link to the previous thread about this.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...Portal+Panache

I have to say that I'm VERY surprised that no one here at Head-Fi has tried out on on the 60 day free trial. I honestly would myself if I hadnt been indoctrinated into the great tube manifesto by those here responsible, you know who you are!!!
Seriously though, with my Cary SLI-80 Signature and a Stealth soon on its way to me, I just dont have a need for this, but SOMEONE here must!

Jude, did you ever get together with Jon Gale to check his out?

We demand an audition! John Madeiros where ARE you???

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back