Headphone amp for ~$US60
Jul 7, 2008 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Basically what the title says. I'm looking into one of those customised cMoy's by a guy called 'Biosciencegeek' on eBay but if there are others I can look into, please let me know
biggrin.gif

I'm going to use it for both computer and portable use. I use AD700's for the comp and Head-direct RE2's for portable use with Cowon D2.

TIA.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 8
I bought a Cmoy amp from 'Biosciencegeek' last year on e-bay.
I've been using it daily at work with a set of Sennheiser PX100 phones.
Very good sound IMO, and certainly quite reliable, as my working conditions are pretty bad.

Steve

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 8
I would sugest that you consider a PA2V2, also available on eBay. You can contct Gary directly and buy from him without going throught the auction process. Many Head-Fi'ers probably got their start into higher end headphone audio by starting with the PA2V2. The amp may actually enhance your listening pleasure or may only act like an external volume control. Higher impedence headphones do benefit from amplification; lower impedence headphones don't generally neeed more amplification than is provided from the headphone out of a portable device.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 8
mmm...doesn't look that portable to me though esp. with the brick AC adapter...mmmmm...both my AD700's and RE2's are low impedance (32 ohms) but an amp wouldn't hurt wouldn't it or would it just be one expensive volume enhancer?

I have heard on here that both do benefit from amplification however.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 8
If I remember correctly, the PA2v2 can be charged with the brick, but runs off of batteries normally.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 8
For a 60 dollar budget, I would suggest keeping an eye on the FS forum. You can always pick up a nice little portable for that price. Something like an older GoVibe or iBasso would be a good starter amp. IMHO these would be better than a cmoy off of Ebay.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 8
The PA2V2 is supposed to run fro 100 hours on a full charge and the batteries (2xAA) are replaceable, so no need to lug round the charger, I do not have 0ne but I have been looking at this for my first foray into headphone amps.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 8
for me, pa2v2 was the "gateway" amp like marijuana is the gateway drug.
not saying that i've tried marijuana or any other illegal substances.
just saying pa2v2 was a decent entry level amp for me. it amplified well, and i didnt have to worry about recharging for many many days, sometimes even for weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back