Headphone Amp for Beyerdynamic DT 880 (2005 edition)
Dec 6, 2007 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

InSaneTK

New Head-Fier
Hello, i'm new to this forum and headphone amps. I have just had the DT 880 2005 for a little over then a month. And i am looking for an amp, a good one. Price range 200-400$ would do, cheaper if it's still good. I fear that 400$ might be a bit expensive so keep that in mind.

My audio source is Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic. Which isn't giving all the power i want without heavy adjustments.

I hope that i can get some amp that will improve the sound noticably, specialy in strength in the deeper frequencies like 200 hz to 16 hz. I'll just put it simple. I'm looking for an amp that will make these DT 880s shine, preform their best. :p

EDIT:!!! I do want tube amp afterall (i'm convinced). So gief some tube amps for 880 that are teh good.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 19
Lol! - What idiot told you tube amps fail? The tubes wear out. Big deal, you buy some more!

That being said, there are all kinds of solid state amps that will do for the 880's. I had a Sugden Headmaster at one time (before I went exclusively with tube amps) and it was quite good with my 2003's.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, the tube amps dont break, the tubes just start to wear out and need replacements. But thats annoying too, since NOS tubes supplies wont last forever, and there arent that much quality newly made pieces of different types yet.

Meier-Audio's amplifiers should match with beyers well, but there might be better choices too.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 19
But that's the thing, tube amps are expensive and wear out. So i have to buy a new one each year because I play music 24/7 almost. :p

What i want to know is the quality of the amp. And how it sounds compare to other things and what not. :p

If i where to buy a tube amp, it would be like 300-400 $ per year just to maintain the audio so i don't get a weared-out audio? :S

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by InSaneTK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that's the thing, tube amps are expensive and wear out. So i have to buy a new one each year because I play music 24/7 almost. :p

What i want to know is the quality of the amp. And how it sounds compare to other things and what not. :p

If i where to buy a tube amp, it would be like 300-400 $ per year just to maintain the audio so i don't get a weared-out audio? :S

You just have to replace the individual vacuum tubes (they plug into sockets in your amp). You do not have to replace the whole amp. I don't think NOS tubes cost that much to buy, the cost of buying new tubes should not be in the $300-$400 range. Maybe more knowledgable members can give you a realistic idea of replacement costs?

Best,
discordia

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 19
New tubes cost from few dollards to 30-40$. (not counting some special tubes, rarities and obvious ripoffs) So it does not exactly need a bank breaking when you need to replace old worn out tubes to newer ones.

But for continous listening Solidstate amp is better I guess: no need to fear that tube goes out just when you want to sit down and listen in peace.
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the meier and beyer relationship is a sure thing!

I agree - I have DT-880-2003 with a Meier Opera and have no regrets,

A superb combination!

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 19
I too was hesitant about tubes becaue of the maintenance factor. I bought a Headroom Home, which is a great amp--build quality could be no better--but it just plain did not sound right with the DT-880s. Too bright. Now I'm using the XianSheng 708b, enjoying a full, natural sound. Tubes are really not very expensive, considering how long they last. Frankly, if you must have a solid state amp, consider changing headphones. But then, as mentioned above, Meir amps are supposed to match quite well with Beyer phones; they are exceptional in this regard.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 19
Tube amps are worth it. Just look at the sheer number of tube-amp devotees here, from the darkvoice flock to the Millett Max DIY enthusiasts. Certain cans just become THAT much better due to tubes, and the dt880 is one of them.

If youre still not that keen on tubes, i second the Meier-Beyer synergy, and also recommend a Gilmore Lite. Check out the FS forun...lotsa beragins to be had

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 19
Ok well tell me more about tubes then. Because i'm a real prefectionist when it comes to audio. But i can't have something that has a gruesome price for new tubes. I am also conserned about how fragile they seem to be. like the manifactures say you shouldn't turn them on and of to much and what not. What's your recommendation on a tube amp for DT 880 spesificaly (i hope a DT 880 owner responds to that :p). And is it deadly expensive to get some quality?

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by InSaneTK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok well tell me more about tubes then. Because i'm a real prefectionist when it comes to audio. But i can't have something that has a gruesome price for new tubes. I am also conserned about how fragile they seem to be. like the manifactures say you shouldn't turn them on and of to much and what not. What's your recommendation on a tube amp for DT 880 spesificaly (i hope a DT 880 owner responds to that :p). And is it deadly expensive to get some quality?

AAaaaand keep in mind that my source is the computer, the X-Fi soundcard.

I'm sort of more interested in tube amps now so i want to hear what's awesome for mah 880s :p

I hope i don't need a horrible amount of new wires and junk to get it to work. and i realllyy hope there will be no problem connecting the soundcard to the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back