Headphone amp decent as a Preamp?
Sep 4, 2007 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

drjt87

New Head-Fier
I'm just wondering, is using a headphone amp that has preamp outputs a decent option if I'm thinking of buying a set of speakers? How about the other way around (using a preamp as a headphone amp)?

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm using the preamp output of my HeadAmp GS-1 to feed a speaker amp. Very transparent.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the preamp output of my HeadAmp GS-1 to feed a speaker amp. Very transparent.

And have you tried any other preamp?

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 8
The GS-1 does have a very good reputation for being a very good preamp as well.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 8
I`m using the Rudistor RPX-33 as a pre-amp, 90% of my listening time (10% for headphones). It`s doing a great job (for both)!

I`m using it for two tube mono power amps, and I think it`s the Dualmono concept of the RPX-33 that`s making a difference here.
Compared it with a tube pre-amp, that was originally constructed to drive said power-amps, but the RPX-33 was remarkable better, that decision was made quickly.

I`m indeed convinced that a very good HA is an excellent pre-amp as well.

cool.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by drjt87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just wondering, is using a headphone amp that has preamp outputs a decent option if I'm thinking of buying a set of speakers?

yes, maybe. It depends on if it has a passive pre output or not, and weather or not you are keen on having a passive preamp. Could be great- could suck.

Quote:

How about the other way around (using a preamp as a headphone amp)?

Not always a winning combo.

If you are asking "Are the two are 1 and the same"?
leonid05 nailed it- an excellent headphone amp usually makes a decent, if not excellent, preamp. But, IMO, not all preamps make for a decent headphone amp.

Some great headphone amps have only a passive output attenuation for the preamp portion. That sometimes isn't enough when a little gain is desired/required. You get the pros and cons of a passive pre in that scenario. Some headphone amps have a seperate, gain-induced pre portion. That's the best route, IMO.

Good luck!

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Headphone amps are preamps and can be used to drive power amps. I use my corda HA2 SE to drive a pair of powered monitors (Adam A7); the music is pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back