Headphone Amp/DAC + Integrated Amp+ passive Speaker?
Feb 17, 2019 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bumpyhead

New Head-Fier
Hi. This may sound stupid but I have a novice question. I am thinking of expanding my head-fi environment to a humble PC-fi by adding a passive bookshelf speaker (B&W 606, for example) with an integrated amplifier.

Currently listening through Foobar 2000 + Sennheiser HDV 820 with HD 800S headphone.
Supposing I got an integrated amplifier and the speaker, will hooking up HDV 820 DAC to the integrated amplifier do any good or should I just separate headphone amp for the use of headphone only?

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 12
I really prefer studio monitors (2.0 or 2.1), so do not have to deal with the separate stereo amplifier.
Check out the Audio-GD DAC/head amps.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm
My Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/head amp works great.

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi. This may sound stupid but I have a novice question. I am thinking of expanding my head-fi environment to a humble PC-fi by adding a passive bookshelf speaker (B&W 606, for example) with an integrated amplifier.

Currently listening through Foobar 2000 + Sennheiser HDV 820 with HD 800S headphone.
Supposing I got an integrated amplifier and the speaker, will hooking up HDV 820 DAC to the integrated amplifier do any good or should I just separate headphone amp for the use of headphone only?

Are you going to be on a desk or is this in a dedicated audio room with a computer as a music server?

Because if you're on a computer desk set up passive speakers and your existing aren't the best way to go in terms of how much space they're going to eat up and what features you have in that DAC-HPamp-Preamp. You can just get active studio monitors since these are designed specifically for nearfield listening, your HDV820 has balanced preamp output for them, and in case you can't get the toe-in/up properly some of these have built in hardpoints for wall mount brackets so you can get them pointing downward if you really have to. They're also not as fussy about being right up near a wall, although that's not to say that acoustic panels on that wall will not help. The amplifiers are built into the monitor cabinets, you just run each to a power outlet instead of having an extra box (the integrated amp) taking up more desk space and utilizing only a fixed voltage output from the HDV820.

If this is in a dedicated audio room where you can sit well beyond 1m away from the speakers you can go with passives, but instead of an integrated amp, just get a pure power amp and use the preamp output from the HDV820 to control the volume.

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 12
Are you going to be on a desk or is this in a dedicated audio room with a computer as a music server?

Because if you're on a computer desk set up passive speakers and your existing aren't the best way to go in terms of how much space they're going to eat up and what features you have in that DAC-HPamp-Preamp. You can just get active studio monitors since these are designed specifically for nearfield listening, your HDV820 has balanced preamp output for them, and in case you can't get the toe-in/up properly some of these have built in hardpoints for wall mount brackets so you can get them pointing downward if you really have to. They're also not as fussy about being right up near a wall, although that's not to say that acoustic panels on that wall will not help. The amplifiers are built into the monitor cabinets, you just run each to a power outlet instead of having an extra box (the integrated amp) taking up more desk space and utilizing only a fixed voltage output from the HDV820.

If this is in a dedicated audio room where you can sit well beyond 1m away from the speakers you can go with passives, but instead of an integrated amp, just get a pure power amp and use the preamp output from the HDV820 to control the volume.
Thanks for the advice.
Now I am clear. Will look for a decent active speaker set to put on the desk together with HDV820.

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 12
Another data point, I prefer passive monitors and a separate amp.

#1 most of the popular active monitors hiss or buzz or both when not playing. Some people can't stand this. I'm one of them.
#2 I don't like many things in one component, that's single point of failure.

There are really not that many passive monitors available today and some of them (but not all) can be very expensive.

In any case, I think a good pair of bookshelves will be more enjoyable than a good pair of monitors in most cases.

Feb 17, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 12
Actually, below is how my desk looks like at the moment.
I just thought shifting to passive speakers from a well known speaker producer like B&W matched with a decent integrated amplifier might change the whole sound I get from below $300 something local brand active speaker.

My original question anyway was will it be worthy at all to hook up the HDV820 between my laptop an an integrated amplifier and the advice given was 'no point in doing that.'

IMG_4892.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 12
#1 most of the popular active monitors hiss or buzz or both when not playing. Some people can't stand this. I'm one of them.

Some of those who mind the noise just don't mind hitting the power button on the power strip that only has the monitors on it. My friend has them on a voltage regulator with a delay output so when he flicks it on it doesn't send out any power until after it stabilizes the initial spike.

2 I don't like many things in one component, that's single point of failure.

On the flipside, you can buy just one active monitor, but you can't buy one passive speaker new or just half a circuit board on an amp, even for dual mono amps that have each side on separate boards.

Point is, either one has its trade offs vs the other.

Actually, below is how my desk looks like at the moment.
I just thought shifting to passive speakers from a well known speaker producer like B&W matched with a decent integrated amplifier might change the whole sound I get from below $300 something local brand active speaker.

If you already have those speakers I'd much rather experiment with it for now. Give them more toe-in, get those angled stands from Audioengine or other manufacturers, maybe line the wall with acoustic panels.

Even if you still decide you don't like the sound, the acoustic panels and angled mounts will confirm that it's the speakers really that you don't like, and not the speakers as messed up by room acoustics and time alignment vs a vis your head, and will do the same for whatever active monitors you try out next..

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 12
Fwiw, I have a pair of Elac UB5 being powered by the Emotiva A-100. My R2R DAC is the most expensive element of the whole set-up, but the amp to speaker part does a great job of expressing the analog signal. Quite an effective but simple hi-fi 2.0 system if you ask me. I wonder if anything sounds better for the price...

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Not to get me wrong is the sound I get from the current active speaker which is connected to my laptop through HDV 820 DAC/AMP is quite remarkable for what it's worth in terms of cost involved.
I was simply wondering whether or not it will boost the overall performance if I add up HDV 820 to the integrated amplifier with passive speakers.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 12
On the flipside, you can buy just one active monitor, but you can't buy one passive speaker new or just half a circuit board on an amp, even for dual mono amps that have each side on separate boards.

Point is, either one has its trade offs vs the other.

You can certainly buy one passive speaker. Where did you ever get the idea you can't? And integrated amps are more broadly useful than active monitors.

I'm aware of the tradeoffs but I'm the only one who mentioned them in the thread. Just something to consider for the OP if he did not think about it.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 12
Not to get me wrong is the sound I get from the current active speaker which is connected to my laptop through HDV 820 DAC/AMP is quite remarkable for what it's worth in terms of cost involved.
I was simply wondering whether or not it will boost the overall performance if I add up HDV 820 to the integrated amplifier with passive speakers.

It's hard for me to understand what you are saying. There is no point to use a headphone amp to drive speakers.

If you have an integrated amp and passive speakers, you normally hook up the headphone amp to tape out or monitor out with fixed levels. Then you can listen to your headphones when you play anything through the integrated amp.

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 12
It's hard for me to understand what you are saying. There is no point to use a headphone amp to drive speakers.

If you have an integrated amp and passive speakers, you normally hook up the headphone amp to tape out or monitor out with fixed levels. Then you can listen to your headphones when you play anything through the integrated amp.
Yes, I am now clear about that. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back