Headphone + amp + DAC for around $1000
Nov 9, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #31 of 73
The AGD will probably be more versatile as well.. Dunno. It's just that the lyr seems pretty future proof to me, as it seems to sound good with a lot of totl headphones. Preferences...

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #32 of 73
The AGD will probably be more versatile as well.. Dunno. It's just that the lyr seems pretty future proof to me, as it seems to sound good with a lot of totl headphones. Preferences...

Indeed it does but if this is your first set up, go for teh AGD they  have a wide variety of SS designs I'd go with a Neutral one for now. The Lyr sounds good with a lot of totl because it can roll tubes. Tubes are expensive so to get the Lyr to match a LOT of totl gear youi need to buy the tubes that you like with your gear! The AGD is the simplest solution for any begining set up! The Lyr is something you'll want later down the line. Because the Lyr with STOCK tubes doesn't sound bad but no one is using STock Tubes on their Lyr for any TOTL head[phones. They are purcahsing and experinmenting with different tubes to find the ones they like best! 

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #33 of 73
what does Totl mean? I could not find the answer in search option

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #36 of 73
  I'm kind of leaning towards HE500 and AGD 11.32 right now. is the pre amp enough to power the orthos or would I need an amp on top, cause THAT I cant afford lol 

I would think so, at at the very LEAST 1.5w should be enough for a very enjoyable HE 500 experince. And the Sabre Dac is a nice prouct! I like mine very much, lot's of detail. The HE 500 is a warmer headphone and it should pair nice with the detail of the 11.32 

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #37 of 73
  I'm kind of leaning towards HE500 and AGD 11.32 right now. is the pre amp enough to power the orthos or would I need an amp on top, cause THAT I cant afford lol 

u can always stack things uppppp  later....:p

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #38 of 73
I'd spend more of the budget on the source, ie the DAC and amp
Second hand M-Dac? and a decent pair of headphones now, and upgrade
later.

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #39 of 73

u can always stack things uppppp  later....:p

Yeaper :D although I do not recommend stacking your Tube on top of your NFB is than an ES2 I see :3, you'd block those vents :O

I'd spend more of the budget on the source, ie the DAC and amp
Second hand M-Dac? and a decent pair of headphones now, and upgrade
later.

Well both lines of thought are valid. Some get a Nice Entry lvl TOTL like the HE 500 and get just enough to power it, or others get a Entry TOTL Dac and Amp and then something like the Sony MA 900. Nothing wrong with either approach. I will say though, the Audio GD Combo units are a GREAT BANG for your dollar! very entry level Friendly! 

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #40 of 73
  I would think so, at at the very LEAST 1.5w should be enough for a very enjoyable HE 500 experince. And the Sabre Dac is a nice prouct! I like mine very much, lot's of detail. The HE 500 is a warmer headphone and it should pair nice with the detail of the 11.32 

I have been considering to buy Aune T1 or modi/magni stack for upgrade from E17. I am leaning towards Audio GD 11.32, after the suggestion of senior members like you. It seems like 11.32 can drive whole variety of cans! Thanks

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #41 of 73
  Yeaper :D although I do not recommend stacking your Tube on top of your NFB is than an ES2 I see :3, you'd block those vents :O
Friendly! 

i have a big fan blowing on those..not much real estate to manoevre :p

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #43 of 73
  I'd say same as above... But perhaps pick the emotiva mini-x over the asgard 2, I think it'll give you better sound for your money.
I'll think about other options, but I think above is a good and balanced way to spend a grand on a setup regarding the amount of money going into the individual components. Great bang for the buck components as well.

So I'm leaning towards the HE-500 with the emotiva mini-x plsu the modi. Would you recommend I simply buy an adapter that goes 1/4 inch to banana plugs, or getting an entirely new wire setup with balanced plugs..? and will going with either one have an acoustic impact?

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #44 of 73
Neither Will make any difference sonically. Proper shielding of the cable might make a minor difference.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #45 of 73

I have been considering to buy Aune T1 or modi/magni stack for upgrade from E17. I am leaning towards Audio GD 11.32, after the suggestion of senior members like you. It seems like 11.32 can drive whole variety of cans! Thanks

I've been using the Audio-GD 15.32 for almost three weeks, no regrets.
and the 11.32 is suppose to have a better DAC.
My 15.32 easily drives my 600-Ohm headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back