Headphone amp beginner
Feb 27, 2010 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

crowley

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first foray into amps and i was looking to get a HiFiman EF2A and then pairing it with a Nuforce uDac. I was wondering if there was a better setup at $300 or less? like an amp with an integrated dac perhaps. Im looking to pair it with my srh840's or buy Hd600's or 650's

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 25
EF2 and uDac would do well with srh840s however that setup would not be ideal for the senns. If you are sure you are going to get the senns then you want a full tube setup and not hybrid like EF2. I would get the Little Dot MKIII and uDac if you get the senns and if you are going to go the EF2 and uDac route then get some Denons, they will really sing with that setup. Or some other high current, low impedance cans

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 25
I just realized that the EF2A already has a DAC built in. I havent personally heard it but, you dont even need the uDAC. However if you only plan on using the amp section then go ahead and buy the uDAC as well. Also if I were you, I would also look into the Little Dot 1+. Awesome little amp.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 25
Thanks for the advice (now im thinking about denons too lol) i have a couple pf questions though:
Can the little dot 1+ work well with other high impedance cans?
and
which would be a better amp to drive the denons, the ef2a or the little dot1+?

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 25
They're both well-regarded hybrid amps. My guess is either would work. The LD I+ may be the better deal if you're getting a standalone DAC anyway. That's what I've decided. Check the thread in my sig for a little discussion on the two (in regards to the Grado HF-2, not Denons).

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 25
I bought the LD DAC_II, and think it has too much power for my low impedance phones, but should work great with your Senns. So now I'm trying to sell mine...

But, I would seriously recommended as a viable option for your set up.

The amp quality in the DAC_II is still pretty decent, and if you ever upgrade to another amp you can still use the DAC_II as a standalone DAC.

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 25
I dont think i can afford the dac II, my budget is $600 for an amp and dac and maybe a new set of cans. The d5000 with the ld 1+ would be great but i think out of my budget. the senns though look like a viable option.

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 25
You could do the D2000 with the LD I+. The D2000 and D5000 are extremely similar in their sound, as they have the same driver. Although I've never listened to the D2000's this is what I hear from the forums.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think i can afford the dac II, my budget is $600 for an amp and dac and maybe a new set of cans. The d5000 with the ld 1+ would be great but i think out of my budget. the senns though look like a viable option.

Hey be on the sales forum for a used pair of D5000's. I got a great deal on a used pair on here
L3000.gif
The synergy between the LD1+ and the Denons is amazing. It is a really fun can for most genres of music. A little critical of recordings but its not that big a deal. In addition I used to own a uDac so, I have actually tried the uDac - LD1+ - D5000 combo and it is quite something.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 25
this seems like a stupid question, but i cant seem to find the ebay store of little dot or david isnt selling anything, would you know where to order?

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 25
Thanks!
Now i just have to decide on whether I should go for a d5000 or a hd600

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #14 of 25
i'm new around here too and just got a setup very close to what you're talking about. i have a uDAC feeding a little dot mkIII to power some HD600's.

i'm still racking up my hours on both the senns and the LD, but the sound is wonderful and getting better. it's silky and balanced with a warmish tone, strong but not overpowering bass, fantastic mids and a lovely high end.

the 600 is great at reproducing a wide range of musical material, although i can see how other phones might outperform it within a specific genre. for example, a lover of hip-hop or electronic might want a faster phone with more bass and a more aggressive sound.

one nice thing about the little dot is that it has DIP switches to select one of 4 gain positions, and swapping out the stock tubes allows you more flexibility to tailor the sound to your needs. at under $200, it's also a very good deal. I'm pleased with mine and as many have said, david at littledot is great to work with.

hope this helps....

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 25
I listen to rock and r&b. I would want to get a versatile amp that can power something like the 600 and low impedance phones like the d5000 in case i go either way or end up getting both down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back