Headphone Amp and/or DAC recommendations for new owner of Sennheiser HD 598's
Aug 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Stereonut

New Head-Fier
I apologize if this topic has been covered before (this is my first thread posted) but I have absolutely no experience with headphones/headphone amps/DAC's etc...  My current pre-amp in my home stereo system does NOT have a headphone jack.  I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's and would like recommendations for a compatible headphone amp to go with them.  I'd also like to know if I could just buy an outboard DAC with a volume control and run my CD player directly through that to drive these phones without a headphone amp at all!?!?  My budget is $300.00 max, but would like to keep it less than that.  Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.

[size=x-small]The specs on the HD 598's are as follows:[/size]

[size=x-small]Technical Data[/size]
[td] [size=x-small]Frequency response (headphones)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]12-38,500 Hz[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Wearing style[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Around-the-ear[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Impedance[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]50 ohms[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Connector[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]1/4 inch (6.3mm)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Cable length[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]10 ft, detachable (single sided)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Transducer principle[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Open-Aire[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Total harmonic distortion[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]<0.1%[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Weight (w/o cable)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]9.52 ounces (225 g)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Total SPL[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]112 dB[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small](*)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]---------------[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]UPC code[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]615104187733[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]EAN code[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]4044155056082[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Dimensions (single)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]8.07 x 3.94 x 9.45 in[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Weight (single)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]1.42 lbs[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]Dimensions (master carton)[/size][/td] [td] [size=x-small]16.81 x 13.66 x 10.51 in[/size][/td]

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 8
As the Senn HD598 are only 50-Ohm, they are fairly easy to drive, so do not need much of an amplifier.
So any $150- $200 external DAC should work fine.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 8
I was looking at the D1 from Maverick Audio.  Seems to have a lot of versatility and it fits my budget.

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1

Any comments... better ideas...?

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I was looking at the D1 from Maverick Audio.  Seems to have a lot of versatility and it fits my budget.

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1

Any comments... better ideas...?

Comes with lots of options, would be nice to know what DAC chip it comes with.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 8
[size=small] [td][size=small]
[size=small] [td][size=small]
[size=small] [td][size=small] Grrrr!!! 
icon_evil.gif

Just to be sure, I e-mailed customer service at Maverick Audio regarding the D1 headphone amp/pre/DAC to be sure it can do what I want it to do.  (My specific question was whether the headphone amp output ran through the tube in the unit.)

Maverick Audio Response:
"The headphone output on the D1 is solid state only, there is just not enough room for putting a tube driven headphone amp section. The tube only powers the tube pre-out."

Now what...??? 
duh.gif

[/size][/td]
[/size]
[/size][/td]
[/size]
[/size][/td]
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back