Headphone amp advice.
Oct 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #16 of 20
Amp + soundstage.  Anything is possible especially if someone has golden ears.  But I think you're looking down the wrong path if you think a different amp is going to be a big deal for the Pro 80 soundstage.  The better thing would be to put different and bigger pads on, such as HM5 or 840. And even then you can only gain so much.  HM5 are deeper and should help the ss more, but they may change the sound in other ways you may not like, such as a little boomier or a bump in the lower mids.  And then there's the choice of pleather vs. velour.  If you want more ss, velour sounds like the way to go, but you would lose isolation and bass and perhaps some "solidity of notes" then.  So, trade-offs.

The "600 ohm" amp on some of those mobos or on various sound cards is marketing for what kind of headphones the amp can drive.  Plenty of people complain that some of those "600 ohm-capable" amps aren't good with 600-ohm headphones.  Some are.  

I think Xonar says the DG is for "up to 150-ohm headphones."  I could say the Xonar DG is capable of driving 250-ohm headphones because it's plenty loud for mine, (and it actually does make them sound "pretty good"), but they are still underpowering them, and they don't sound as good as they could.

Most desktop amps don't have DACs.  Portable amps, some do, some don't.  The Fiio product line is a good place to see the difference in how some models do and others don't.  That's not necessarily a Fiio recommendation.  

The M-audio has no built-in power output at all?  Because the Pro 80 isn't hard to drive.

A quick read says that card has SPDIF out.  If so, or just using a different output, you should be able to hook it to a home theater-type stereo receiver and then plug your headphones in to that.  They're usually big and use more watts, but used ones can be dirt-cheap, or maybe you already have one. For testing purposes if nothing else.  

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 20
I do not know where I can post a new thread or where a post can be placed for my question, this is in relation to computer audio/audio headset via soundcard and amp vs speaker, type deal. I am new by all means and everywhere I look I cannot make new thread, only post reply.

I have various products in mind to possibly assist with low quality sound or at least to "boost" the volume I am hearing be it via my computer, cell phone, TV for when I play my PS3 etc it is a longer more complex "problem" if you will and I heard that Head-Fi is THE place to check on information in this regard, as other places I frequent simply did not have a very decent if any answer in this regard.

I also know many forums require folks to place help threads in specific areas to obviously not have 10 bajillion threads asking the same thing, not trying to deride this thread from OP by any means if it appears this way I am very sorry.

I know most computer hardware quite well but not sound and what would work or wont for my "issue" so if I can post in this thread in this regard awesome, if not can I be directed to where I may post, please and thank you very much, sincerely DragonAstaXiel.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 20
I'll probably get some pleather and velour HM5 pads at some stage and see what I like.

I think Xonar says the DG is for "up to 150-ohm headphones."  I could say the Xonar DG is capable of driving 250-ohm headphones because it's plenty loud for mine, (and it actually does make them sound "pretty good"), but they are still underpowering them, and they don't sound as good as they could.

What headphones are you talking about?

I thought most desktop amps did have DACs built in 
confused_face_2.gif

The M-audio has no built-in power output at all?  

No. The M-Audio 2496 doesn't have a headphone output or amplifier onboard. It has SPDIF and analog rca outputs.

I would prefer a desktop amplifier as I don't have enough room on my desk for a big receiver.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #19 of 20
I thought most desktop amps did have DACs built in 
confused_face_2.gif

They'd be referred to as DAC-HPamps, and sometimes they have a preamp. That's why NuForce called theirs the HDP - Headphone amp, DAC, and Preamp in one box. Most amplifiers don't have any DAC circuits inside the same chassis, like everything Schiit sells and everything Meier sells now (they had some DAC-HPamp-Preamp units before). Also Little Dot and Darkvoice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back