Headphone Airplane Adapters - Anyone Know About These?
May 6, 2003 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

skagen

Banned
Does anyone know if there are adapters available that would take a standard portable headphone and turn it into a two-prong for use on an airplane?

If such a thing exists I'm looking to buy one in New York City....

May 6, 2003 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 19
the only one that I kno of is the one made by sennheiser:

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0060080000

headroom has it, it's basically a stereo mini jack to (2x) mono plugs.

edit: found this one too by earhugger-

EHA-18.jpg

http://www.globalmart.com/page/e/eha_18.htm

May 6, 2003 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 19
Yup that is correct. It's meant for use on airplanes.

May 6, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 19
Radioshack sells them as well.
-Mag

May 6, 2003 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 19
You may never need one of those. I've flown a number of times over the past few years, and taken that adapter with me every time... I've never needed it. Most airlines have replaced the two-prong headphone jack with a standard miniplug (it's cheaper for them to buy headphones that use standard miniplugs).

May 6, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 19
I don't know but last time I took a plane (Last Year). Air Canada and Singapore Airlines were still using their 2 prong jacks

May 6, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 19
Come to think of it, last time I flew I just used the headphones I had at the time. It was United I think. Back before Christmas and my head-fi beginnings. I think I was actually using my philips/gemini fake eggos.

May 6, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 19
I think Finnish airlines a least use regular. no dula thingy. hmm that maybe the only thing good whit that company.

May 6, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
is there any sound advantage to the 2 prongs?

No. Those were for when airlines wanted you to pay for renting headphones to watch the movie.

Remember when they used to use the "air tube" headphones? Those were viciously uncomfortable.

May 7, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Continental is still using the two pronged plugs as well.

Probably more plane-dependant than company-dependant. I haven't been in a new Airbus or 777 on several different companies with two-prong headphone jacks, but plenty of older (regional) planes still have them.

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back