Headphone advice, Jazz, Not too expensive
Nov 20, 2010 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Gerregerbil

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
This is my first post on this forum, and I hope that you can give me some advice on some new headphones.
I listen a lot to Jazz and Ska.
Source is my mobile phone. (Just 320kbps mp3)
Budget is <$100
Strong cables would be nice, my last cheap headphones had broken cables.
I don't know very much about good headphones, so I don't really know what else I should tell you. IEM, around ear, on ear, I have no idead what I need. (Maybe around-ear headphones would work, or are big headphones a bad idea on a small mobile phone? I really don't know :p)
Thanks,
Gerben

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 22
Never personally heard it myself but the Ath-m50 is highly regarded here and is supposed to be relatively easily driven for an around the ear headphone. 

If I am not wrong in jazz you want to bring out the bass and the trebles with a slightly recessed mid. I would go out for the Hje-900. You might find the treble a little high though and might want to use the foam mod on it.

As for whether u want an iem or around the ear, it really depends on what your needs are. Iem's generally give better isolation and are smaller so are more portable. If you intend to be doing a lot of running/brisk walking, while using them then go for an iem.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 22
HJE900 or Custom 3.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
Quote:
HJE900 or Custom 3.

1+

HJE900 are great, but you might need to do mod them by sticking foam in the nozzle.  They're known to be sibilant and I sometimes have trouble with cymbals sounding harsh, especially the ride cymbal on bebop tracks.  Because of this, I prefer the smooth, warm sound of my Atrios for jazz, although those are out of your price range (by a lot.)  I'm not saying the HJE900's won't be a good choice (I think they're terrific IEM's) but am just cautioning you that you may find them needing some modding for optimal performance.  (FWIW, I haven't modded mine, I just switch out tips.)

You could try the Hippo VB's, which I have never heard myself but others describe as having Atrio-like sound.  Available for $80: http://jaben.net/shopping/product_info.php?products_id=259

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 22
   The HJE900s aren't great with jazz without the foam mod imo. Cymbals get too much presence and trumpets sound a bit harsh. The piano is pushed too far back and the bass isn't that textured which is importatnt for old jazz recordings. The foam mod helps a lot when done right but even then I think the Monster Gold or Cutoms3 will be a better option. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 22
I recommend these:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524071/deal-alert-akg-k430-29-95-free-shipping-musician-s-friend

Clearance right now, solid price.  If not, I recommend JVC, as they are amazing bang for the buck.  I don't recommend something like the M50 because since you mention a mobile phone, I expect you want transportability.  Circumaural headphones are bulky to take around with you.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 22
another vote for the hje900. i use them with the comply tx400 tips instead of stuffing the nozzles, reduced effect probably but personally wouldn't consider it harsh. if cables are a concern for you, the hje900's are user-replaceable and pretty beefy to begin with. and i think these are still $89, a pretty good value i think.

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 22
The highs will taper down after awhile with the HJE900, but the mod is a good adjustment too. Actually, while I don't think you can go wrong with the HJE900, I think the better C3 is the best option between the two. The sound is wonderful; the cord sucks unfortunately. but with reasonable care these IEMs should last. By the way, about 75 percent of my music collection is jazz, so yes, the right sounding IEM for jazz is very important to me. Good luck...

Eric

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the fast reactions.
I guess the HJE900 has some support here. So I guess I'll trust the guy with the Miles Davis avatar :p

Lol of course he's off in the head some times but he'll be all right, make sure you join his fan club
biggrin.gif
 Anyhow I would suggest the Pana's as well, again, again, and again.

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 22
One issue with the HJE900's is that they've got greater-than-average hiss.  I was just listening to some old Miles Davis on my HJE900's, and I gotta say their hissing really came out during his more note-scarce solos (think Blue in Green off of Kind of Blue).  Anyone else have issues with this?  (ericp10 aka "guy with the Miles Davis avatar", I'm lookin at you!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back