Headphile MS1?
May 18, 2006 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MdRex

1000+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about sending my MS1 to headphile for woodification and I have a few question:

-I want to retain the grado stock cable (I am willing to pay full-price) and by the woodification itself, is the mod still worth it?

-Larry mentioned that the wait time is around 5 weeks? How long did you wait?

-If I have a budget of $200 which wood would you pick?

May 18, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
I was thinking about sending my MS1 to headphile for woodification and I have a few question:

-I want to retain the grado stock cable (I am willing to pay full-price) and by the woodification itself, is the mod still worth it?

-Larry mentioned that the wait time is around 5 weeks? How long did you wait?

-If I have a budget of $200 which wood would you pick?

I can't answer your questions (except about the wood: at that price I'd do Paduak or Zebra, but it's all personal preference!), but I've had some experience with Larry at Headphile before---he's incredibly prompt and thorough in responses to e-mails, and replies very quickly too. I'd definitely e-mail him!

May 18, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 19
I have MS-1s and am extreemly happy with them. I am also thinking of upgrading to more of the same.(MS2i or RS-2)but......

The thought of woodifying a set of MS-1s is interesting!

If it can be done for less than the price of MS2i but get a sound as good; cool!! Even if the sound dosen't get much better than a stock set of MS-1s; that's cool too if the wood alone makes that much of an esthetic difference!

I haven't checked Larrys' site with MS-1 in mind; but is the housing the size of the MS2i,(same as RS-2 also), or larger, or smaller? I would wonder how a housing of a different size and material resonance would affect the sound of a driver designed for a specific housing.

I wouldn't for a moment suggest that what you have in mind is a bad idea. It sounds like fun to me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Outside of head-fi there are probably lots of folks who have cans of similar or lesser SQ than MS-1 and they are their final sets of cans. If I didn't know of this forum and the addictive nature of this place; I would likely be home listening to tunes as happy as could be thinking this is probably as good as it gets!! And if I looked at these otherwise stock sounding MS-1s with pretty wooden housings and thought about how great they looked too! Well;....it dosen't get much better'n that!!

May 18, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 19
Headphile MS-1s are really testing the law of diminishing returns. Personally, I would upgrade to a higher end headphone before considering getting them woodied. The thing is, the amount of SQ increase you get on the MS-1 will probably be less than the increase you could get if you sold your MS-1s and combined the proceeds with the $200 you would spend woodying them. ~$300 could get you MS-2i's or HF-1s which i'm willing to bet would sound way better than woodied MS-1s.

If your still determined to get them woodied, I think the type of wood you pick is just whatever you think looks nicest (I'm partial to Cocobolo). And try to get the stock grill replaced with something more open to increase airflow.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

May 18, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 19
I suggest you get a higher end can instead of spending the money on wood. Just doesnt make sense to mod a low end (relativly) can like that with $200 worth of mods. You'd get a much better return investment by upgrading.

May 18, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 19
The reason that I want to opt out of a recable is that I like the stock grado cable (aesthetic wise) enough to want to retain it. Recabled cables (with techflex and all just aren't too appealing.

Concerning a MS2i and SR225:
I already own a SR325i, there ain't too many reasons for me to purchase the MS2i other than collectitus (*rabid* COLLECT EM' ALL!!!11!!11!!111!! *rabid*). Besides, woodying the MS1 would cost much less.

I have no reason to buy the SR225 either other than the above mentioned collectitus. Besides, MS1 woody would be soooo much cooler...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

May 18, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 19
why not woody the 325?

I had an ms1 woodied but not recabled. It's the only can he's ever done the woody only job, so it was an experiment.

I thought it really helped the cans. though asthetically i actually prefer the stock look better for its low profile.

The wood warmed up the midrange and tamed some of the gra-T-o and really helped with soundstage and instrument seperation. I did a review comparing them to the HF1

I actually like the woody MS1 better than the 325, because withe the 325 everythingn sounds metalic to me. though it did have better detail, the woody ms1 had a much more free, open, natural sound.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=wood+inside

hope that helps...

May 18, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 19
Sell the 325i, it's resellable, and sounds like rectum. Then sell the MS1. You should have enough to get a 225 and pay to woody it.

May 18, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
The reason that I want to opt out of a recable is that I like the stock grado cable (aesthetic wise) enough to want to retain it. Recabled cables (with techflex and all just aren't too appealing.

Concerning a MS2i and SR225:
I already own a SR325i, there ain't too many reasons for me to purchase the MS2i other than collectitus (*rabid* COLLECT EM' ALL!!!11!!11!!111!! *rabid*). Besides, woodying the MS1 would cost much less.

I have no reason to buy the SR225 either other than the above mentioned collectitus. Besides, MS1 woody would be soooo much cooler...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Not knowing what plug option you have, I do know that I prefer the stock small plug cable. I don't know if a new cable of "any" variety would help with the SQ, but I do know that I prefer the small plug over the large, as over half of the devices I regularly plug into have the smaller jack. So I too would not consider a cable update if I were to go the woody route.

The plug option on the MS-1 is something that should even be considered a recomended feature in this day of the computer and computer related audio devices!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 19
It's weird rhythmdevil, I scrolled thru the thread and found out that I said...

"That MS-1 is totally stunning looking... I am so tempted to get mine woodied..."

The temptation...
mad.gif
icon10.gif
Your post didn't help changing my mind..
tongue.gif
Btw, which wood did you choose? Those wood looks really close to Mahogany.

Quote:

Sell the 325i, it's resellable, and sounds like rectum. Then sell the MS1. You should have enough to get a 225 and pay to woody it.

I <3 my SR325i and will not part with it no matter what (I remember those sweet moments when I listened to them after saving up for what seems like eternity...). The mids are just addictive...
eggosmile.gif

Thanks for all the responses, appreciate them
icon10.gif

p.s. Although Ebony would looks wicked... but...

May 18, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 19
aesthetic is just as important as the sound...but i wouldnt pay 200 bucks for the look. you'd be better off selling ur sr325i + ms1 + extra 200 cash that u were gonna use to mod and get a pair of RS-1 instead.

May 18, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk

Huh, I always though the 325i's at meets were farting at me, but I never had proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back