Headfive vs. Gilmore Lite...expected more of a difference.
Jan 25, 2007 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Gravitas

100+ Head-Fier
Just received a Gilmore Lite v2 today. It has been burned in from previous owner. Headfive is also burned in. Cans are hd650.

After A/Bing them for some time, I'm surprised that the difference is much, much smaller than I anticipated after reading comparisons here. I've been critically listening to 20-30 second spurts of songs I know very well, switching between the two amps (which is very easy, thanks to the loop out on the Glite).

I expected the Glite to sound much more cold and analytical vs. the Headfive. Not the case so far. There may be just a slight touch more treble energy in Glite...the slightest touch. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'm actually hearing it or expecting to hear it (damn you, placebo). I'll need more time I suppose.

Just wondering if anyone who has compared these two noticed a "big" difference, and if so, what music did you use to discover this? I'd love to hear it so that I can decide which one of these to keep! As of now I'm in favor of the H5 since it has crossfeed, which I do enjoy for longer listening sessions. (for the comparisons I listened with crossfeed off)

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 52
Were you using your HD650's?

If not... perhaps, you'll notice more of a difference with them?

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you using your HD650's?

Yes

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 52
I hate when you're not sure if you're hearing something or not! Have you tried your other headphones, namely those UM2's? Or is the gain too high to get a decent volume or something?

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 52
And make sure you match the SPL
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received a Gilmore Lite v2 today. It has been burned in from previous owner. Headfive is also burned in. Cans are hd650.

After A/Bing them for some time, I'm surprised that the difference is much, much smaller than I anticipated after reading comparisons here. I've been critically listening to 20-30 second spurts of songs I know very well, switching between the two amps (which is very easy, thanks to the loop out on the Glite).

I expected the Glite to sound much more cold and analytical vs. the Headfive. Not the case so far. There may be just a slight touch more treble energy in Glite...the slightest touch. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'm actually hearing it or expecting to hear it (damn you, placebo). I'll need more time I suppose.

Just wondering if anyone who has compared these two noticed a "big" difference, and if so, what music did you use to discover this? I'd love to hear it so that I can decide which one of these to keep! As of now I'm in favor of the H5 since it has crossfeed, which I do enjoy for longer listening sessions. (for the comparisons I listened with crossfeed off)

That's a surprise. There is definitely a HUGE difference between the GS Solo and Headfive amps. I'm expecting the Gilmore Lite to sound closer to the former wrt sound or am I wrong in this?

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 52
Very interesting, I also expected (from the descriptions/impressions I have read here) that the G-Lite would be noticably colder and brighter.
Please update us as you listen further, as well as with other headphones if possible.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 52
You need a cable upgrade...pronto. No, just joking
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
LOL
icon10.gif
Love how people recommend expensive upgrades on things that don't change the sound too much. I got a Silver Dragon cable for my HD650s only when I found everything else in my setup ($250 on less then %1 change in sound was just icing on the cake for me). Amps are really dependant on source IMHO. No point getting an uber expensive amp if you don't have an uber expensive source.

So with that, what is your source? I'd recommend demoing the Gilmore Lite and Headfive with your HD650s on a good solid CD player if you haven't. If there's still no difference, looks like you'd better get an even more expensive CD player
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 52
I agree with Davesrose, get a better source. The amp doesn't 'improve' sound. It is supposed to amplify the signal without altering it too much. If you are using an ipod as source, that is definately a weak link.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 52
OK, I just gotta ask . . . . . .
blink.gif

IF you are comparing AMP_A to AMP_B
and both are being fed the same signal, the differences in individual tonal characteristics should still be apparent, No?

I can understand that a "better source" will provide more acoustic information (and in a "cleaner" form) for the amps to effect, perhaps even revealing the last traces of difference between the two. But even so, the differences should be fairly apparent without this last few percent, No?

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 52
For those who don't have golden ears, like me, I've found that differences in amps reveal themselves in long term tests. That is, listen to the Headfive for a few hours, for a few days, then switch to the Gilmore with the same songs - your brain, after having accustomed to the Headfive's signature, will notice the differences on the Gilmore better.

I too have trouble discerning huge differences on A/Bing, it definitely requires a certain 'training' and concentration...but I'm getting better..

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand that a "better source" will provide more acoustic information (and in a "cleaner" form) for the amps to effect, perhaps even revealing the last traces of difference between the two. But even so, the differences should be fairly apparent without this last few percent, No?

At least I've found source to be way more then just a few percentage points in sound quality. If your amp is not getting enough bass or treble extension, detail, or blackness it's not going to magically create it. This site seems to downplay source more for amp, which I think is not very good. On my cheap Sony SCD-CE595, there's less of a difference with my HeadRoom MicroAmp over my Single Power amp. On my DAC-1/Music Hall source, there's a HUGE difference.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least I've found source to be way more then just a few percentage points in sound quality. If your amp is not getting enough bass or treble extension, detail, or blackness it's not going to magically create it. This site seems to downplay source more for amp, which I think is not very good. On my cheap Sony SCD-CE595, there's less of a difference with my HeadRoom MicroAmp over my Single Power amp. On my DAC-1/Music Hall source, there's a HUGE difference.

OK, I am not disagreeing with this, I am only looking at it like this:
If you are evaluating the "absolute" performance (meaning quantitative; to what level it excels) then yes the source is extremely critical to makinghtis determination.
However, if you are evaluating the "relative" performance (meaning Amp_A relative to Amp_B) then it appears to me that source is much less a factor (if at all).
Am I off-base here, or does my logic work in this situation?

So in the interest of simplicity in the comparison, can't we just leave the source out of the equation?
(since it is common to both sides of the equation we can multiply both sides by 1/Source thus eliminating it completely) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back