HEADFIVE to Black Cube Linear - worth the upgrade?
Jul 10, 2007 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mojo

100+ Head-Fier
I have the opportunity to buy a Black Cube Linear for a good price. I currently have a HEADFIVE and use ATH W5000s or Sennheiser 495s depending on mood. Source wise I am using a CEC DA53 DAC fed from bit-perfect FLAC.

I am really happy with the HEADFIVE, but was wondering if the BCL might be able to push things a bit further, particularly with the W5000s. I like the HEADFIVE sound. Generally I like involving music, but with smooth sparkling highs and clear, strong vocals. I listen to a lot of rock so guitar reproduction, separation and coping with poor recordings is important.

Really, the BCL would have to be a major step up to make it worth it. Anyone care to comment or should I just leave this one?

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 11
It would depend, I would think, upon how "good" a good price is.
tongue.gif

Only you can decide value.

I know nothing about your current amp, but I did have the BCL. It's good. Very good.

But I didn't keep it. I've had a Woo3, a Naim Headline 2, and a PS Audio GCHA since then. I happened to prefer both the Naim and the GCHA to the BCL. The BCL, to me, just sounded like a very powerful version of a Creek that I had years ago. The BCL was powerful and clear and rambunctious, but I think of it as also a bit crude and unrefined, too. BUT . . . that's just me, of course. If you could listen to it first, that'd be great.

And it's certainly good enough that if the price is right, you won't go wrong. As I understand it, it's a beloved item, especially outside of the U.S., so I'm sure you could move it easily if need be if you didn't find it to your taste.

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 11
I've owned the Lehmann Black Cube Linear for about two years, and also the W5000. I used to have a CEC DA53 which I though was decent, but not as good as the Lavry DA10. I've never heard a HeadFive, only the Aria, Opera, HA-2 MkII SE and Prehead MkII SE.

The last two words I would use to describe the Lehmann BCL are "crude and unrefined." I think it sounds extremely refined, equivalent to the RSA Raptor using the HD600 or HD650 and Rnb G52 cable.

I have a Zu Mobius XLR to connect the Senns directly to a Lavry DA10's XLR outputs. I don't use it often, because I often listen to the Senns single-ended with the Lehmann instead.

I would describe it as having an excellent combination of smoothness and details. I've also compared the Lehmann to the Corda Opera, Prehead MkII SE and Graham Slee Solo with the HD650 and Beyers and not found it lacking.

I like the Lehmann best when matched with the Senn HD650, HD600 or AKG K701. I don't think it is a particularly good or bad match with the W5000 or other AT's. I prefer both the AT-HA5000 and Raptor over the Lehmann with the AT's I use.

The W5000 is very sensitive to the source and amplification, more so than most dynamic headphones I've tried. Count me in as one of those who thinks very highly of the Lehmann, but not with the W5000. If you need an amp for the W5000, there might be better choices than the Lehmann available. If you use Senns, the K701 or Beyers, the Lehmann is hard to beat.

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm listening to the HD600/RnB G52 connected to the Lehmann BCL now. Patricia Barber's "A Taste of Honey" sounds very good. I can't imagine what kind of amp would make the BCL seem comparatively rough, crude or lacking in refinement.
confused.gif

I don't mention source, assuming the source is top-quality (Lavry DA10 or better).

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 11
My impressions with BCL is almost the opposite - it is refined, highly resolving and detailed, and very neutral with ample power reserve. One of my favorite.

The BCL is actually quite sensitive to the choice of power cords and interconnects. Souce definitely plays a key role too.

F. Lo

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impressions with BCL is almost the opposite - it is refined, highly resolving and detailed, and very neutral with ample power reserve. One of my favorite.

The BCL is actually quite sensitive to the choice of power cords and interconnects. Souce definitely plays a key role too.
F. Lo

I agree. There is no way it could be considered rude or unrefined. Unless there is something fishy with the interconnects. BCL reacts immediately with different interconnects and sources.

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. There is no way it could be considered rude or unrefined. Unless there is something fishy with the interconnects. BCL reacts immediately with different interconnects and sources.

Elaphas said "the [size=large]LAST[/size] two words I would use to describe the Lehmann BCL are "crude and unrefined."..."
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the input guys. I could get the AT-HA5000 instead. Presumably a good pairing with W5000s, but it is kinda hard to find much good info. Also, it is quite large. Then again the BCL is not exactly small I guess. I know, stupid reasons, but...

To be honest I really like the sound of the HeadFive. The BCL sounds very attractive though, as I do like very clean and smooth amps. I listen to a lot of rock and metal, but also a lot of vocal stuff like Oranges & Lemons (Itou Masumi and Ueno Youko), Okazaki Ritsuko, Frank Sinatra etc.

I notice there is also a USB version of the BCL now. I can't imagine it is anything like as good as the CEC fed from the optical out of a bit-perfect soundcard, but has anyone tried it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back