HEADFIVE amp pairs / has synergy with....????
Jun 30, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #16 of 24
So far, I've had mixed results with the Sennheiser HD-650 and the AKG K-501 wasn't so good. Didn't bother with the K-1000.

However, I've really been enjoying the HeadFive with the HF-1. Everything seems to work well together. The HF-1 doesn't seem as bright in the upper registers with it, either. So I'd recommend a Grado. If you're willing to go up to $400, you might want to keep your eyes open for a used RS-2. They usually go around there, and I think that would be a good match for you.

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #17 of 24
They are both Grados so yes they have the same sonic signature, but the MS-1s are just a bit more laid back and the slightly more agressive 225s make a better pairing with the H5, though the MS-1s aren't a bad match by any means.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boberang
Huh, guess I was thinking the MS-1s and the Grado 225s were suppose to be similar sounding headphones! But it was quite some time ago I read reviews.

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
I'm liking the presentation that these HD-650s bring to the H5 chain due to my Squeezebox source affording me a much greater variety of playable music perhaps the AGK-701 would not allow. I also detest any "screaching" as you say. The Hd-650s bass is controled nicely by the H5... So, for longer term sessions and utility, I'll come down on this warm sonic signature preferance knowingly giving up some detail & air a more analytical can(AKG-701) may offer. So yea, comes down to some preferances and how you are going to use it,paired with what source and what quality of recordings.

Best bet, as they say, is to try it out and hear it after narrowing it all down...

P.S. The AGK-701s are on the way for my final decision!

O.K. I've been enjoying the Senns HD-650s with the H5 for a few weeks; Now with the AGK-701s and OMG I've found "IT" to be far superior and free from the obscurity veil which I hadn't noticed before this direct comparison in my system. The bass is all there with this AGK , well integrated and not muddying the presentation as with the HD-650 does in this system, like an obnoxious Home Theatre subwoofer,but noticed only in comparisson AND in my system to these ears. Seems the H5 and AGK-701s play very well together! The best I've heard yet!!! The Senns 650s will now be going back,well worth the postage for the audition!

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #19 of 24
I'm gonna throw in for the H5/HF-1 combo as well. My deep woodied HHF-1s sound absolutely magical with this amp! Smooth, dynamic, and detailed with plenty of power behind the overall sound. Very, very good synergy.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Right now i'm liking the HD650 and HF1 combo with the headfive, and the HD650 over the HF1, but both have synergy. right now, despite what i read, i'm not liking the HD595 with it.

What dont you like about the hd595 and h5 combo?

Jul 7, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #21 of 24
SR325i + HeadFive = BLISS.

The sound is very refined, but it's not box-like or sharp or overly bright.
It's brighter than the K701+Gilmore Lite combo, but clearer, more balanced, and reaches into the lower frequencies better. That is, the bass is very snappy and fairly present. I don't think the DT880 sounds that great with the HeadFive.

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #22 of 24
biggrin.gif
AKG 701 with H5 is very nice sound, a little more laid back than I get with the RS Hornet!
It has enouth power to turn the volume down past a 1/4 and still hear the dynamics and punch of the amp. I belive the crossfeed is a true bonus too.

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #23 of 24
I'm using Sure E4s and Beyer DT 231s, and very happy with the results.

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #24 of 24
K601 + head5 > K601 + aria (better bas response on the head5 combo)
though I like my other phones better with the aria (including the ES2 and K340).

Detail: I have to turn the knob further on the aria than on the head5 to get a nice descent sound out orf the k340's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back