Headband removal K701
Mar 14, 2008 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jherbert

100+ Head-Fier
I felt somewhat uncomfortable with the headband of my K701 and ordered a spare K601 headband. Problem: I have no idea how to remove the headband. Any clues?

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 14
Is there a picture of the headband anywhere by itself, separated? This would give you (and me, i hate the 701's headband) an idea how to replace it.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 14
go to AKG's website, there you will find an exploded view of the parts assembly
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I preferred the headband of K501s instead - new ones' bumps give me weird pressure points on top of my head.

that subsides as the headband breaks-in and softens

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 14
I've thought of modding mine. A bit of sheepskin on the lower surface, perhaps.

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 14
I can't find the PDF manual online, and not at akg.com. I could be having a braindead day, but mind posting the link?

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 14
It bugs me a lot, because every time I've seen a thread on 701's, I've wanted to say, "They're great phones, but they are *@#*ing uncomfortable." It's almost as if they need a device to break in the headband, not just the drivers and cable. It was 10x worse for me, because for over 10 years I used a pair of Quarts, which are Beyer-comfortable with very soft pads and very light clamping. The clamping of the 701's reminded me of why I never bought Senn's.

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 14
First, the structural headband is made of springy steel, which if too tight can easily be relieved of some of it's tension. Bending it slightly outward, stretching it onto some books/a pillow/a ball/etc when not in use will also relive some tension.

Second, the headband itself is leather and can be manually broken in with flexing, or perhaps treated with a leather conditioner, but after adequate break-in it should be unnoticable even for extended listening sessions. If necessary you can add padding using either foam rubber or fleece, attaching it with rubber cement should be completely removable.

Mine are two years old and after some initial break-in I have found them extremely comfortable for most of that time.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Mine have little clamping force and the headband doesn't bother me a bit, not to mention they feel really light on my head
confused.gif

Looking at mine, I would guess that, if it's able to be removed, that metal part where it says L/R and the metal part underneath the headband connect, and could be pried apart...don't take my word for it though
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...after some initial break-in I have found them extremely comfortable for most of that time.

I totally agree with you. The first weeks were quite hard and it was quite uncomfortable but then either the headband got softer or my head got used to it (I guess a little bit of both
biggrin.gif
) and then it was really comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back