HeadAmp's GS-X
Jan 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

preproman

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to know is this amp still [size=x-small][size=x-small]regarded as a good choice for a SS amps?  The phones used will be D7000, AKG Q701, HD650, T70, Pro 900[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Other [size=x-small][size=x-small]recommendations are welcom.  Thanks.[/size][/size][/size][/size]

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 15
The GS-X was good, but as it aged it became a bit senile, and now we keep it in an assisted living home

In all seriousness, amps dont go bad... and a dynamid is still one of the best amp topologies around! 

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 15
The GS-X is a capable-enough amp for most current dynamic headphones, short of orthos/planars of course. The headphones you own shouldn't pose any struggles for the GS-X.

I wouldn't personally recommend it over the GS-1 for most people though, as the GS-1 is essentially the exact same amp, just not balanced. IMO, to get the most benefit from the GS-X it should be used in balanced mode (which also requires a balanced source, as the GS-X is a proper dual mono amp without phase inverters).

There's only one reason I'd recommend the GS-X over the GS-1 excepting the balanced functionality - it's marginally more "transparent" sounding and will reveal everything about the source it's connected to, which will provide more benefit on very high-end sources.

Most people on Head-Fi seem to look at amps as some sort of "tone control" - completely the opposite of the HeadAmp amps that I've heard. HeadAmp amps sonically disappear and are the most literal "wire with gain" amps that I've heard to date, with the GS-X being the best at that. It really takes on the character of the source it's connected to - I've done plenty of digital source comparisons (both with my 1st GS-X in 2007 and the one I currently have which I got in 2010) and heard surprisingly different sounds with each source.

The GS-X is my highest recommendation only for people with (preferrably balanced) high-end sources looking to reap as much reward as possible. Otherwise it makes more sense to get the GS-1. If my description of the HeadAmp "sound" doesn't seem appealing, there are probably plenty of other amps with more "mid-rangey" sound signatures available. I'm not really aware of such other amps though as my experience is very limited.

My favorite GS-X experience by far was with my previously-owned balanced Sony Qualia 010. The total treble quality that my system created was absolutely and awesomely clean & pristine - the GS-X really enhanced the treble in particular and made it perfect for me.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the info Asr,

You said   "The GS-X is a capable-enough amp for most current dynamic headphones, short of orthos/planars of course"

Does this mean that this amp CAN NOT drive phones like the LCD 2, HE-500 or the HE-5LE effectivly, even in balanced mode?

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 15
I meant orthos/planars in general, not any specific headphones. The GS-X does seem to drive the LCD-2 (r1 & r2) and LCD-3 just fine in balanced mode - and it makes them sound very good too (in the case of the LCD-2 r2 specifically, substantially better than the Schiit Lyr which has 3X the power output). I have no experience with the HE-500 or HE-5LE though, can't comment on those. I've read those aren't very efficient though and might need more power than the GS-X can provide.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 15
The only Woo amps that I've heard in my home are the WA6 and WA22. I've heard others only in meet conditions.

I just cross-posted an old review I wrote of the WA6 here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/woo-audio-wa6/reviews/6164

Here's a mini-review I wrote of the WA22: http://www.head-fi.org/t/473873/mini-review-woo-audio-wa22

As the WA22 mini-review refers to the Gilmore Lite several times, my posts in this thread can help with GL/GS-X inferences: http://www.head-fi.org/t/589983/headamps-gs-x-vs-gilmore-lite-for-high-end-grado

I can't make any up-to-date comments on the WA22 vs GS-X as I didn't own them at the same time and it's been too long since I owned the WA22.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 15
^ I'm not ASR, but neither. It is still JFET input, and has always been bipolar output. I don't think the FET output modules were ever released.

Also, my Dynalo (basically a Gilmore V2, equivalent to a GS-1) drives LCD-2s just fine (r1). Spritzer said that his does as well. Balanced might be better, but I thought they sounded great. My dynahi didn't really seem to drive them better.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 15
Yeah, the mosfet never reached production status.  This was around the time when Toshiba did the major shakeup of their semiconductor lineup so no doubt that was a huge factor. 

The Dynalo is indeed a perfect match for the LCD-2.  The LCD-2 load may be purely resistive but planars have their very own way of punishing amps so simply saying they need a lot of power isn't true.  How the amp deals with the load is the key... 

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 15
 Quote:
^ I'm not ASR, but neither. It is still JFET input, and has always been bipolar output. I don't think the FET output modules were ever released.

Also, my Dynalo (basically a Gilmore V2, equivalent to a GS-1) drives LCD-2s just fine (r1). Spritzer said that his does as well. Balanced might be better, but I thought they sounded great. My dynahi didn't really seem to drive them better.

Wow - I thought the dynahi would have would have made them sound just as good if not better than the dynalo.  Does the dynahi = GS-X?

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 15
^ The dynahi did sound as good as the Dynalo did (well, my dynahi is still uncased, using a **** pot, wiring all over the place, etc.).

The dynahi was never commercially offered. The GS-X is a balanced GS-1, or dynalo. The dynahi has more power.

As Birgir said, in my limited listening to the LCD-2s (2 weeks), I didn't buy into the thought running around here that they need a lot of power to sound good.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 15
Just chiming in, I've had my GS-1 (w/DACT Stepped Attenuator) for a few days now and the combination with my LCD-3s is outstanding! A very nice contrast to my WA22, but still great in its own right. Its built like a tank and so far, it sounds great with my LCD-3s, T1s, HD800s and Ed.8s. Haven't tried my HF-2s yet.

The other bonus, is that it's still dead silent even with my Westone 4s and RE0s and drives them incredibly well. So there you have it, a clean, neutral sounding desktop amp that can drive all my gear; from my Westone 4s, right up to my LCD-3s.
smile.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Great to hear MacedoianHero,

My GS-1 is still in the burn in stage as I patiently wait for the GS-X that's 3-4 months down the road according to Justin.  As I'm a SS man I may invest in a B22 in stead of waiting for the GS-X.  Anyway my next pair of phones will hopefully be the LCD-2's or the T1's.  How would you describe the GS-1 / T1 combo?  

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Great to hear MacedoianHero,

My GS-1 is still in the burn in stage as I patiently wait for the GS-X that's 3-4 months down the road according to Justin.  As I'm a SS man I may invest in a B22 in stead of waiting for the GS-X.  Anyway my next pair of phones will hopefully be the LCD-2's or the T1's.  How would you describe the GS-1 / T1 combo?  

Yep...a killer amp indeed that has unfortunately been forgotten here. FWIW:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592999/headamp-gs-1-a-forgotten-treasure#post_8098085

Users who are viewing this thread

Back