HeadAmp Pico Upsampling USB DAC - Pre-Order Now at intro price
Jun 23, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #421 of 466
3652345745_fe13332745_o.jpg

3652345023_59ded7f160_o.jpg

3653139808_25007545d2_o.jpg

My DAC came a days ago. Its really nice. My old dac would have been the X-FI card I had (elite pro ultra blah blah version). The pico is a decent improvement, better resolution, I can sense sound when it alternates between R/L channels better than before, and it sounds more detailed (especially for the song "Je Veux Te Voir" or "Ce Jeu (The Twelves Remix)" by Yelle). Its great for music more electronic-based ( like, say... electronica). I'm not sure if I can tell as much difference for acoustic music ( like fleet foxes, Nick Drake, Cat Stevens, Bon Iver) but I need more time to test that. Overall, I'm quite happy. I'll be using the pico for all music, but stick with my x-fi for gaming (for the surround related features).

And it is indeed smaller than I was expecting- which is good. The only backdraw is that the cables that plug in are heavier than the dac itself (in addition to the kimber cables being really rigid), so it took some fiddling with to get the thing to stay flat (as pictured). Also, it comes with a nice faux-leather bag for storage. Vista and OSX recognized it instantly, there was zero hassle getting it setup. I have yet to test it on Ubuntu, but don't expect any issues.

By the way, having the dac on top of my amp like that won't introduce any EMI to the amp or wires like that, would it? I can't hear anything like EMI.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #423 of 466
Just received my pico dac!! Very fast shipping and quality packaging! These are even smaller than what I have expected... Though I cannot use them because I'm still awaiting my amp
frown.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #426 of 466
Well, I've lived with this little DAC for a few months now and have been continually impressed with its performance. This thing is clearly better than theh RWA imod I was previously using as source. Thank you justin.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #427 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
; and I don't know if it uses a WM8740 DAC chip like the poster requested.

The wm8501 actually. The y2 uses the wm8741 though, which is pin-to-pin compatible with the wm8740(but requires a lower DVDD)

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #428 of 466
I'm looking to buy this but I have some concerns..

Can I use both RCA and Line-Out and have the RCA go to my amp, while the line out goes to my powered speakers?

Is there a switch in the back that determines whether u want RCA out or Line out?

Or how would it work if they're both plugged in? Would music be playing simultaneously on my speakers and headphones?

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #429 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to buy this but I have some concerns..

Can I use both RCA and Line-Out and have the RCA go to my amp, while the line out goes to my powered speakers?

Is there a switch in the back that determines whether u want RCA out or Line out?

Or how would it work if they're both plugged in? Would music be playing simultaneously on my speakers and headphones?

I feed the RCA into my Amphora and the mini to my EF2 with a mini-RCA cable, and both outputs are active at the same time with no switches, so if the amps are both on then the sound comes out of both of them.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #431 of 466
Hi, I´m thinking of buying Pico, but isnť there anything better than pico in this price?
I know that for example Iron_dreamer prefer Pico to Apogee minidac and Benchamark, I also think that Edwood write something like that, but on other hand, some people prefer for example headroom micro DAC.
It will be for home use only, so size doesn't matter.
Can you please give me some advice?
I will be really thankfull for any help.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #432 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I´m thinking of buying Pico, but isnť there anything better than pico in this price?
I know that for example Iron_dreamer prefer Pico to Apogee minidac and Benchamark, I also think that Edwood write something like that, but on other hand, some people prefer for example headroom micro DAC.

You would probably get more help and advice here: Portable Headphone Amps - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #433 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you only need a USB DAC, at this price nothing is better than Pico DAC-only. You'd have to spend $700 or more on a PS Audio DLIII or Stello DA100 to beat it via USB. The Apogee Duet would be an option to match the Pico DAC-only but it is more expensive, firewire and Mac-only.

With my Macbook and optical digital out I do think the HR Micro DAC comes quite close, as does the iBasso D10, But as a DAC only via optical I would use the HR Micro DAC over the D10 because I like the line out sound better than the D10 line out (while the D10 is great as a DAC/amp). The D10 line out is a little too quiet or soft.

But again, if you only need USB, the Pico DAC-only would be my top choice of the three above. It has a nice high output level and can feed two amps at the same time, so you don't have to disconnect when switching between headphones and speakers, or dynamic phones to electrostatics, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back