Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #302 of 437
I have waited a long time to post this but I can no longer hide my conclusion that there really is a difference in the sound between the different gain settings. It is almost as if (or may actually be that) the Pico Power is delivering more power in high gain mode. My Heaven VI is very sensitive to power, ramping up in the bass and mids as power increases. It is one of the reasons that I love the Pico Power so much with it. I am finding that I get more prominent bass with noticeably increased mid-bass slam on high gain by comparison with low gain. (I am not sure what to make of mid gain; I am actually not sure why this setting even exists.)  

I thought that it might be placebo but listening today to Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits, the difference was impossible to ignore. (I was doing careful volume matching as much as possible when switching back and forth.) 

The volume pot on my Pico Slim has excellent channel tracking right down to the bottom and I am using it on high gain now with IEMs. I don't get a lot of play adjusting volume - low gain is better for that - but with the stiff but still smooth volume control, it is fine.

To be sure the Pico Power sounds just great on low gain. But for that little extra bass pop with the Heaven VI, it is high gain for me.

With other headphones it may not be as noticeable. (I do feel that it is still there with Flat4 Kaede but it is less obvious.) I wonder if others have experienced the same thing?

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #303 of 437
  I have waited a long time to post this but I can no longer hide my conclusion that there really is a difference in the sound between the different gain settings. It is almost as if (or may actually be that) the Pico Power is delivering more power in high gain mode. My Heaven VI is very sensitive to power, ramping up in the bass and mids as power increases. It is one of the reasons that I love the Pico Power so much with it. I am finding that I get more prominent bass with noticeably increased mid-bass slam on high gain by comparison with low gain. (I am not sure what to make of mid gain; I am actually not sure why this setting even exists.)  

I thought that it might be placebo but listening today to Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits, the difference was impossible to ignore. (I was doing careful channel matching as much as possible when switching back and forth.) 

The volume pot on my Pico Slim has excellent channel tracking right down to the bottom and I am using it on high gain now with IEMs. I don't get a lot of play adjusting volume - low gain is better for that - but with the stiff but still smooth volume control, it is fine.

To be sure the Pico Power sounds just great on low gain. But for that little extra bass pop with the Heaven VI, it is high gain for me.

With other headphones it may not be as noticeable. (I do feel that it is still there with Flat4 Kaede but it is less obvious.) I wonder if others have experienced the same thing?

I don't have the Pico Power (yet
wink_face.gif
), but if we are talking about the same thing, I noticed this with the gain switches on all my devices when using my NT6 Pros which eats any power it can get. However, with my less power hungry headphones it is less noticeable. The devices I use with a gain switch include the BH2 an the DX50. My guess is that it takes more power to drive the lower frequencies so the extra power is just more noticeable there.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #304 of 437
Yesterday, I received a beautiful black Pico Power that I picked up from the classifieds. Wow, the build quality is just amazing and the sound....just perfection. I planned to buy one new awhile back but this and that got in the way. What a mistake to live all these months without it. ...

Good stuff :)

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #306 of 437
Just purchased a purple Pico Power. Can't wait to see how it'll sound. Horrible that the wait time is like 6 weeks. Re-read all the reviews here and seems like it will fit the bill. Using DT1350s now but soon get a HD650 for home use. Looking something a little warmer than the E12 using now but with good enough power the run the Senns. I hate waiting...

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #308 of 437
Thanks for the update Justin, very excited to hear it may be soon.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #309 of 437
I just ordered a black Pico Power.  I can't wait to get it.  It will probably get to me before my JH Audio JH5 Pros come in the mail.  I guess I'll just use my crappy beats by dre studios in the meantime while I wait for my JH5's.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #311 of 437
Just received my purple pico power today and just started listening to it. That was a fast delivery. Workmanship and finish is superb. Color is excellent. Listening time is limited today but from what I can hear right, very clear, no hiss. Bass impact is excellent at medium gain. Midst and highs are sharp. Using a ATH-ES700 right and all is well. Leaves the E12 behind sonically and quality-wise. This can really deliver. Will post some more reactions once I get some more relaxed time to hear some more music selections. I am impressed so far...

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #314 of 437
I'm doing some photography work for Justin and finally had a moment to try the Pico Power with my LCD-X's. I'm very impressed! I'm running directly from an iMod. It has more than enough power to drive the Audeze's to high volumes. The dynamics are punchy and fast. The imaging and separation are great. It sounds like a desktop rig crammed into a very portable box!

Well done Justin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back