HeadAmp Pico has arrived.. (LARGE unpacking pictures)
Dec 26, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #76 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it would be awesome if Justin would begin to offer the DAC section of the PICO built into his other amps, like an add on. I would love to put it in the GS1 I ordered a while back. That would make for a sweet office all-in-one.

That would be a no-brainer.

But better yet, a top of the line DAC. With Balanced outputs and all the trimmings.

-Ed

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #77 of 151
Any impressions on the amp section alone from anyone yet?

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #78 of 151
I'm curious if anyone could comment on the battery life of the Predator vs. the Pico. The Predator appears to have a claimed battery life of ~ 50 hours per charge compared to ~ 20 hours for the Pico. Why the discrapancy? I was under the impression that both amps use similar batteries!?

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #79 of 151
Even if they used the same batteries it would depend upon the current demand of the amp section. The Predator gets around 50 to 56 hours per charge most likely because of a lower demand by the opamps used vs the opamps in the Pico. Whether the batteries are the same mA I do not know.

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #80 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any impressions on the amp section alone from anyone yet?

Mine (amp only) is waiting for me at work. I will plug it in Thursday and post.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #81 of 151
This sucks, I still haven't received my amp yet! It was shipped out this past Friday, and should have been here either Monday or today at the latest.
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #83 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if they used the same batteries it would depend upon the current demand of the amp section. The Predator gets around 50 to 56 hours per charge most likely because of a lower demand by the opamps used vs the opamps in the Pico. Whether the batteries are the same mA I do not know.

I realize that there are many variables, and you can't compare the numbers directly. I guess I was curious what these variables might be, and I always thought 50+ hours sounded like a stretch, but it looks like people have confirmed this to hold for the Predator.

Thank you for the input.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #84 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check a couple pages back. I gave an albeit brief description of what I was hearing. Mine is sans DAC.

I see you have a Hornet M as well, what would you say are the main things that separate the two as stand alone amps (as far as sound alone)?

I should have mine in a couple days but I'm antsy
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #85 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be a no-brainer.

But better yet, a top of the line DAC. With Balanced outputs and all the trimmings.

-Ed

this sounds about right...i wouldn't be surprised if justin's been working on a stand-alone DAC in his spare time
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #87 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this sounds about right...i wouldn't be surprised if justin's been working on a stand-alone DAC in his spare time
wink.gif

I'd be surprised if that's where Justin wanted to take his business. He probably wants to stay in the headphone amp business. I think that Ed has it nailed and that Justin will bring out home amps with the dac. Of course, what the hell do I know!
redface.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #88 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be surprised if that's where Justin wanted to take his business. He probably wants to stay in the headphone amp business. I think that Ed has it nailed and that Justin will bring out home amps with the dac. Of course, what the hell do I know!
redface.gif

is that what ed said? sounds as though ed thinks a top of the line DAC w/balanced outputs would be a good idea...

i'd actually prefer separate components over a dac/amp combo for home use...i think people would much prefer to match amps and DACs than have an integrated one for the home since there are so many more kinds of headphones and amps available for home use...

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #89 of 151
I would have to agree. When it comes to home amps and dacs, with advancements in dacs and being a different beast from an amp, I would prefer to have separates. The module thing doesn't always work that well. It may look good at first both to the designer and user but after a time it is just a compromise when updates for optimal performance require more than what a plug and play can offer.

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #90 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, would love to see this done by Justin

I'm not going to say anything definitive (since I definitively don't know) but my previous conversations with Justin would lead me to believe he IS going to do this in the near future. We were, after all, trying to brainstorm product names for it.
wink.gif
But don't start bugging him just yet. He did just release the Pico afterall. If he does make one, I can't imagine it will be sooner than 6 - 8 months from now.

As far as balanced outputs go, I have no idea. But if it turns out to be in a small form (or smaller) than the Pico, I wouldn't count on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back