HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Sep 8, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,411 of 1,464
Hi guys.  Can you take me off the list or skip me for the west coast pair?  I had a chance to test out a pair of the HE-560 and feel that I'm all set. 

Thanks.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,413 of 1,464
  Please PM the next person on the list for their address

Did this, waiting to hear back.

I've had the HE560 longer than they should have ever been and I apologize for that. It's been a hectic week and the mix-up with the post office didn't help things. I greatly apologize to Justin from HeadAmp for this. With that said it's time to share my thoughts and ship these out. 

Impressions time:

Build Quality/Wearing Experience

Let's be honest here, I don't think that any of us are impressed with the build quality. When I was taking the HE560 out of the tight foam padding I honestly felt that the hinges might snap. I have little confidence in any accidental drops with these and we all know accidents happen. I like the aesthetics though, they look very nice even if the wood isn't real. I'm highly perplexed as to why HiFi Man uses twist locking connectors though. I couldn't figure out how to secure them without twisting the cable, which no doubt is causing stress on it. I really can't think of a reason to use this method of securing the cable, it would actually be a con if the cable were snagged on something. In addition to the locking cable, the cable itself feels cheap and rigid.

I don't think that the build quality of these even comes close to warranting the price tag, especially when comparing the build of the Oppo PM-1 and even mid-tier headphones like the Ad900. If HiFi Man had the build quality of Audio Technica or Oppo then these headphones would easily be my second favorite of all time. Unfortunately they are far too fragile for me to ever consider purchasing them, accidents do happen.

The HE560 are above average in comfort, light and soft hybrid pads start the fantastic listening experience. I've had no issues wearing these for hours. The massively open helps keep the heat off of the ears, enhancing comfort for long term listening sessions.

Sound Quality

I'm not going to go super in-depth here as I don't feel that I've had them long enough for that, but I notice no weak points in the sound at all. The bass extends deeply and with authority. Lately I've been listening to a lot of bass heavy electronic and I've found myself immensely satisfied with the quality and quantity. I don't think that the bass would satisfy bassheads, but the HE560 aren't trying to be basshead cans The mids are clean, detailed, quick, natural, and slightly forward in presentation, not once coming off dry or dull in my listening. The highs are clean and well extended with no added sibilancre to my ears. The soundstage is spot on in positioning, though perhaps lacking in depth and 3d imaging qualities a bit. The sound is presented in such a way as to come off intimate and airy at the same time, it's impressive. 

I should note though that the sound isn't all grits and gravy. I do notice some grain throughout. The grain is mild and noticeable sometimes, but it doesn't bother me enough to disrupt my listening experience.

My favorite headphone of all time is the Ad2000. The HE560 sound like a less aggressive and more open version of the Ad2000 to my ears (and from memory). The HE560 are lively, detailed and accurate. I've had an immense pleasure listening to everything on these from bass heavy electronic to R&B to alternative rock. The HE560 may be one of the most complete sonic experiences that I've ever heard, there are very little sacrifices made here.

Overall

It's a shame that I could not ever see myself getting over the build quality because these sound absolutely stunning. I love how light and comfortable these are and I can not find one song that even sounds remotely bad on these. If HiFi Man could get their build quality up to par, fix the minor grain issues and make these a bit more immersive then I would have my ultimate hi-fi headphone. The balance of the sound is perfect for my ears and I'm impressed with how they managed to keep the headphones intimate with the airy qualities it has.

The HE560 can be purchased at HeadAMP for $899.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,414 of 1,464
Just picked up the Midwest pair from Fedex that lord_tris sent. Unfortunately, this looks like a rather bad week for me to demo them as I will most likely be working 12-14 hour days through Friday. I will try to get some time with them, though, and ship out to Burju either Friday or Saturday.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #1,415 of 1,464
  Hi guys.  Can you take me off the list or skip me for the west coast pair?  I had a chance to test out a pair of the HE-560 and feel that I'm all set. 

Thanks.

Ayeveen is passing it as well, so I'll go to the next next next person on the list!

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,416 of 1,464
Ilikecereal421 has passed as well. This west coast tour is ending early! Will PM devhen.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,419 of 1,464
Justin can you please remove me from the East Coast list? I'm afraid It'll be a little too close to when I'm supposed to go off on vacation. Thanks!

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,424 of 1,464
Shipped this morning to devhen.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,425 of 1,464
Just sent a PM to GloryUprising to inform him that I don't want the cans after rs01 sends it to him.
I've heard it at a meet and I'm perfectly happy with my LCD-3s. This is the East Coast pair.
Understand the person after me (dxanex) doesn't want it either so I told him to PM jaywillin for his address.

Thanks for the oppurtunity Justin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back