HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Feb 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #301 of 1,464
Quote:
Heya,

Sent the LCD2 (East Coast) to Mac336 today.

Thanks again for the opportunity Justin!

Very best,

+1 You're the man Justin and if/ (who and I kidding) when I upgrade to my next pair I'm buying from you guys.

And great write up btw. I own the HE-400's but was thinking about selling them to upgrade to the 500's or possibly LCD 2's and your impressions were very helpful and once I get to test the LCD's in a week or so it'll help me make my decision. Or I may just try and get a nice tube amp to complete my set up but have no idea what to look at. Had the EF2a from Hifiman but wasn't impressed with the DAC but loved the warm tube sound so I'm hooked. Trying to stay under $300 so you can imagine how limited my options are.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #304 of 1,464
Received the LCD-2 demo pair from Malveux today

Here are some of my initial impressions after wearing/listening for a couple of hours.  The last headphone I have listened to was my HE-500 about a week ago, so I consider myself "fresh" coming into this headphone. 

Aesthetics

I like the appearance of the bamboo LCD-2.  Doesn't look to "retro" to me or anything.  Looks good next to my amp.  I think is looks better in person than the photos I have seen online.  

The LCD-2 is more comfortable IMO.  The earpads are made of super soft leather and are very cushiony.  The earcups and headband have a nice pivot/swivel joint which allows the earcups to position themselves easily and properly for whoever is wearing them.  The height adjustment has some nice grooves to lock it in place.  Since the headphones are new, they are decently tight on my head.  Stretching them out (which I will not be doing) would make the headphones perfectly comfortable to me.  But even with this tightness, I still find them comfortable.  After an hour and a half of listening, I have yet to sweat from these leather pads. 

The LCD2 is slightly less "open" than the he500 in terms of letting sound in from your surrounding, but surprisingly leak sound out more so than the he500 does when turned up.  However, at my normal listening levels, I can't hear the music externally when I take the headphone off. 

After reading Mad Lust Envy's initial impressions of the LCD-2 during his demo (p.19), his displeasure of feeling a "pressure" similar to cabin pressure on an airplane had me afraid I would not like the feel of the LCD-2.  I was expecting the headphones to feel similar to a Bose "quiet comfort" noise cancelling headphone (which I hate and cannot stand the feeling of); fortunately, I did not find this to be the case at all.  I do not feel any sort of pressure.  When I first put them on, the clamping for of the LCD-2 combined with somewhat closed in feeling of the open back LCD-2 kind of seemed odd at first, but it doesn't bother me at all now.  

The LCD-2 headband is more comfortable than the HE-500.  I have always read comments of people complaining about the HE-500 headband, but I never had a problem with it or found it discomforting in any way; however, after wearing the LCD2 I notice a comfort to its headband relative to my experience wearing the HE500.  The headband is better, and I will probably be altering my he-500 headband now because of it.  

Overall, the design of the LCD-2 is great.  I like the look and I find it very comfortable relative to my HE-500. Aesthetically, I pretty much prefer everything about the lcd-2 over the HE-500. 

Sound

My initial thought upon hearing my first song with the LCD-2: "woah, this sounds like the HE-500."

The similarity must come from the orthodynamic sound signature I suppose.  Upon further listening, I found the LCD2 to sound similar the he-500, but with tighter bass and less treble. 

The LCD-2 has excellent mids,  and I love this bass.  I do not find the bass to be too much, feel over emphasized, or have too much presence. I thought this might be the case based on some impressions I have read about this headphone.  The bass is nice and tight, hits hard and deep, and is well balanced.

The LCD-2 is laid back.  More so than the HE-500, or atleast this is my impression thus far.

Currently, I am feeling as though I prefer the LCD-2 over my HE-500.  Maybe I do, or maybe its because I'm listening to the LCD-2 coming off of a week-long headphone drought.   

I am going to do some more listening with the LCD-2 before directly comparing it with my HE-500. I will be updating with those impressions/comparisons soon.

Day 2, 3

I preferred the LCD-2 over the HE-500 with the pleather pads in every aspect. 

I threw on the velours and the he500 sounded less like the lcd-2.  It was more airy and soundstage ever so slightly wider, or it gave that impression atleast.  The airy treble extension of the he500 makes it a really nice "change up" headphone from the lcd-2.  I thought the "wider" soundstage and treble extension to make some songs (more commonly in rock, alternative) more enjoyable.  

With most of the music I listen to (primarily electronic, trance, orchestral, instrumentals, occasional dubstep) I prefered the LCD-2 because it had a "closer" sound.  Its sound seemed to carry more weight, sounded thicker, and more intimate as you feel closer  By comparison the HE500 velour was relaxed, laid back, open and airy sounding.  I consider the lcd-2 to sound "laid back"
to begin with, but it seemed more "up front" when compared to the he500. 

Ultimately, I can't say that one headphone is "better" than the other.  I think they are excellent compliments to each other and each would make a great second pair as a change of pace.  obviously not many people can afford even one of these HPs, let alone 2, so if I had to pick one, I would take the LCD-2 as it suited my personal tastes a little bit better during these comparisons.  Despite my partiality towards the lcd-2, I would be perfectly happy with the HE500.  For me, the he500 is on the same plane, just a slightly different sound.  

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #305 of 1,464
First of all, many thanks to Justin and his company for the temporary use of the Stax 002. I was interested in listening to them having owned my first pair of Stax Ear Speakers in the mid-70's. I am sorry to say, I did not enjoy the 002 at all. I am not saying the 002 is a bad product, rather I think I was expecting to hear something that the 002's just can't deliver. They sounded very "tinny" and weak to me. Of course, I was comparing them to the "original Stax sound" as I remember it, HE-500's run through the Schitt Bifrost/Lyr, HE-400's through the HeadRoom Micro Amp/DAC combination, and Beyerdynamic DT-880's through a Ray Samuals Predator. The little Stax 002's just can't keep up.

However, Justin did win some business from me for the near future. I have got to have some of those Audeze headphones, balanced, for the Hifi-M8 which will be in my office (hopefully, mid-May). Anyone who trusts an Internet group with his products deserves to have my business.

I would also like to thank the various other users of the Stax 002 who communicated with me. It was a pleasant surprise to deal with "real people" as opposed to all the jack asses I encounter everyday in the world of public accounting and finance.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #306 of 1,464
So are we keeping these for a week instead of the 3 or 4 days as originally planned?  Seems like the East Coast pair was with Malveaux for a while.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #307 of 1,464
Quote:
So are we keeping these for a week instead of the 3 or 4 days as originally planned?  Seems like the East Coast pair was with Malveaux for a while.

I don't think there's a hard date or anything like that. It does look as though Malveaux had them for about six days or so which is probably on the high side but I don't think that automatically means you should keep it for six days (and I'm not saying that because I'm coming up soon). Just listen to them, get what you want to out of the demo, and hopefully keep it to around three days or so.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #311 of 1,464
Quote:
3-4 days people, stay on track.  this demo is an amazing luxury.  let us encourage future demo's by displaying good behavior.

+1 Totally agree, lets not abuse this great opportunity so we may be able to get some more in the future.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #313 of 1,464
Justin, any word on weather or not gopanthersgo1 has shipped the package yet?

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #315 of 1,464
I just met him in Austin and they did ship

So excited!! Did you get a good look at the box for the Rosewood pair? I have tons of USPS boxes so if a new one is needed that wont be a problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back