Headamp GS-1 or Gilmore Lite?
Jan 12, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 57
Jan 12, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cadillac or Buick,,,,both nice, but come on dude,,,?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Make sure you get the DACT, don't skimp on options when it comes to a luxury car/amp,,,!!!!!!

hahaha
biggrin.gif
my budget says otherwise. gotta buy in stages

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #20 of 57
Started off with the G-Lite, then got the DPS for it. Upgraded to the GS-1 and never looked back.

Like others hint to, the GS-1 is going to give you a window into your source. Have a bright source, with the bright grado's, and well...... doubly bright is the result.

I paired my GS-1 with a mildly warm NOS DAC, and I love the combo!!!
These 2, with my headphones, and I have almost no itch to upgrade. And that's saying a lot for me. ^_^
(Headphones being the HD650 and Grado HF-1)

PS: I have the POT, not the stepped volume control. I like to be able to dial it into the exact volume, and for that I saved money.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PS: I have the POT, not the stepped volume control. I like to be able to dial it into the exact volume, and for that I saved money.

Good...

What's so special about paying $175.00 to have clicks on the dial? What's the main reason for this "upgrade"? Is it a luxury or does it change SQ?

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdl357 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good...

What's so special about paying $175.00 to have clicks on the dial? What's the main reason for this "upgrade"? Is it a luxury or does it change SQ?

I have no idea, I have never heard a GS-1 with the stepped volume control.
^_^

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

x2

I wanted to know about this as well, is there any increase in SQ or whatsoever? beside convenience?

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

An optional DACT stepped-attenuator is available as the volume control on the GS-1. The stepped-attenuator provides 24 separate volume positions with unparalleled matching of levels between the left and right channels.

Maybe it better controls both channels equally like Headamp says it does?

Man, $175 for a pot is pretty steep.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #25 of 57
Having heard identical amps, one with an Alps Blue pot, one with a DACT, the DACT does give a smoother and ultimately more transparent sound. And once you get to an amp on the level of the GS1, assuming your other gear is up to par, it is definitely noticeable if one gets the chance to compare. Bottom line, if you've got the cash, and don't have an issue with the discrete volume steps, the stepped attenuator model will sound better.

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #26 of 57
I have a GS-1 and an Azur 740C and I find the pairing very good... highs are not too bright or harsh at all. I also have a G-Lite, and would definitely reccomend the step up to the GS-1, which I find a little "sweeter" in the top end. I don't have the stepped attenuator, but I find the Alps pot just fine.

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #27 of 57
It might be important to know what headphones you'll be using. I can imagine the 740c + GS-1 + HD650 being a superb combination (haven't heard the 740c with GS-1 and HD650 but have heard the GS-1 + HD650). Both the 740c and GS-1's sharper sound signature complement the warmer-sounding HD650.

I see a SR80 in your signature? Maybe not the best match then...

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #28 of 57
I use both HD-650 and K-701 with my 740C and GS-1. Right away, there was very good synergy with the HD-650. Originally, I thought the K-701 too bright in this setup, but with many months of use, I find the K-701's top end mellowing out, the bass improving, and the soundstage and detail are superb.

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #29 of 57
Does your GS-1 has stepped attenuator?

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #30 of 57
If that question is for me... no, my GS-1 just has a potentiometer. I understand that Justin individually tests the pots for quality and good channel matching. I am happy with mine and I can dial in exactly the volume level that I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back