Headamp GS-1 or Gilmore Lite?
Jan 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

ZepFloyd

500+ Head-Fier
So I think i'm going to be looking into getting one of these two amps. I also plan on getting one of the cambrige cd players at some point. Which amp would be the best route to hook up to the cambridge? Any feedback is appreciated

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 57
If you can afford it, I'd go with the GS-1 with the DACT stepped attenuator. The initial investment is more, but I doubt that amp would be the bottle neck in almost any system. You get a power supply, upgradable modules, gain selector, two inputs, and pre-amp fuctionality.

Oh yeah, it sounds better too... but they both sound great, and are both very transparent. I would characterize them as windows to the source, with a hint of smoothness.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 57
Which Cambridge CD player? I had the GS-1 simultaneous with the Azur 640C V2 and would most assuredly recommend against using any HeadAmp product with it, as the treble was very harsh and borderline metallic. I'd imagine similar results would occur with the 740C since it too uses the WM8740 in a similar configuration and is somewhat similarly spec'd. The 840C though, no idea, completely different parts, and probably a different & unique sound.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 57
Both amps are excellent although it's likely that the GS-1 will be the more "refined" and transparent of the two. I would agree that if you do get a GS-1, adding the DACT stepped attenuator is a good idea, but with one caveat -- if you use very efficient phones (Grados come to mind), the volume increments between steps may not be sufficient for your needs, even if you use the low gain position. I've noticed this on my GS-1, especially when playing rather "hot" recordings - you quickly jump from too soft to uncomfortably loud, which might be one advantage of a variable gain control especially if you're planning to use Grados.

I can't comment on your choice of CD players since I use my GS-1 with a DAC1/USB, which works beautifully in my set-up. The Headamps are quite transparent and you will certainly hear any harshness that might originate from the source.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a pretty easy answer to me, if you have the money go gs-1.

But are you going to use this with grados?

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Cambridge CD player? I had the GS-1 simultaneous with the Azur 640C V2 and would most assuredly recommend against using any HeadAmp product with it, as the treble was very harsh and borderline metallic. I'd imagine similar results would occur with the 740C since it too uses the WM8740 in a similar configuration and is somewhat similarly spec'd. The 840C though, no idea, completely different parts, and probably a different & unique sound.

was thinking the 640c v2...really use no headamp product with it?

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

i'd listen to Asr's recommendation here as he knows headamp's amps very well, given that he owns all of them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 57
I currently own both the GS-1 (with DACT stepped attenuator) and a Gilmore Lite with Dedicated Power Supply. GS-1 is in my main system; GL is in my desktop system.

I would say the sound is very close to one another. The GS-1 seems to have slightly better soundstage and slighly rolled off treble, which will syngerize better with Grados. I for one use all the GS-1's extra features (preamp output, dual inputs) so the upgrade over the GL is a must for me.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was thinking the 640c v2...really use no headamp product with it?

Definitely. Go tube amp, or consider a different CDP brand.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

I had the GS-1 simultaneous with the Azur 640C V2 and would most assuredly recommend against using any HeadAmp product with it, as the treble was very harsh and borderline metallic.

I second this opinion about the 640c. I had the Cambridge 640C in my system for a couple of weeks. I found its sound to be a bit on the bright side when used as a player or transport with my GS-1.

Constructionwise, it is a very solidly built player. It had nice touches like copper shielding over vital internal parts. However, I had several issues with it. The transport mechanism makes an annoying "click-click" when skipping tracks. The backlit LCD display was hard to read at angles and was too bright at night. The CD tray was flimsy and opened/closed rapidly with no "finesse." The digital output jack was wobbly. The remote was also ergonomically lousy with tiny buttons which all look and feel alike.

Mine was the V1 version. There is now a V2 version out. I don't know how they differ.

I have and prefer the Music Hall CD 25.2 that I now have.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree that if you do get a GS-1, adding the DACT stepped attenuator is a good idea, but with one caveat -- if you use very efficient phones (Grados come to mind), the volume increments between steps may not be sufficient for your needs, even if you use the low gain position. I've noticed this on my GS-1, especially when playing rather "hot" recordings - you quickly jump from too soft to uncomfortably loud, which might be one advantage of a variable gain control especially if you're planning to use Grados.

Just ask Justin to make low gain a unity and you'll be set.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

which brand of CDP do you recommend?

I've owned a 640C V1 and I've also owned a GS-1 although not at the same time but from my recollections of their sound I'd have to agree with ASR, I doubt it would be a very good pairing. I briefly had my GS-1 paired with MiniMax CD player and with the right tube complement it was heavenly, unfortunately I couldn't afford to keep both.

I see you have a Pico on order, are you getting the DAC option? If so, and if you could live with using a computer as your main source you might think about using the Pico as a standalone DAC (output to amp via the headphone output thus acting like a variable output) to a GS-1 or GS Lite, whichever you choose.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see you have a Pico on order, are you getting the DAC option? If so, and if you could live with using a computer as your main source you might think about using the Pico as a standalone DAC (output to amp via the headphone output thus acting like a variable output) to a GS-1 or GS Lite, whichever you choose.

Yea, i got the DAC option. I can def live with computer as the source. how exactly do I use the GS-1 with the pico though? ie: what would I have to hook to what to make it work?

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Yea, i got the DAC option. I can def live with computer as the source. how exactly do I use the GS-1 with the pico though? ie: what would I have to hook to what to make it work?

It pretty simple, you just need a mini to RCA interconnect and the USB cable. First hook up the Pico to the computer via USB as usual, then to hook the Pico to a GS-1 you use the mini to RCA interconnect connecting the mini end to the Pico's headphone output jack and the RCA ends to one of the inputs of the GS-1. The Pico then essentially becomes a standalone DAC with a variable output. From my understanding using the Pico in this fashion is not that much different than how a typical DAC works. I'm not sure what the optimal settings for gain and volume are though but there are a few people that have used or are using the Pico in this fashion who you may be able to get some information from. If you scour through some of the bigger Pico threads you'll find more technical information and see who's using it this fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back