HeadAmp GS-1 as preamp?
May 22, 2008 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bostonears

1000+ Head-Fier
Can anyone who owns a HeadAmp GS-1 comment on its sonic qualities as a preamp for use with a power amp and speakers (you know, those giant boxes that are too big to fit on your head)? Is it "audiophile quality" in that respect?

May 22, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 8
GS-1 (Kevin Gilmore Dynalo) would make a fantastic preamp, most headphone amps do
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Search Results for GS-1 preamp

Believe it or not, prior to starting this thread, I did a search on that exact phrase, "GS-1 preamp", and spent about 45 minutes plowing through the findings. However, my search used "Search this Forum", which turned up many many pages of threads (I presume anything with "GS-1" and "preamp" anywhere in it), sorted by date, that were not relevant to what I was looking for. Your "Google Custom Search" looks like it sorts by relevancy (apparently factoring in the proximity of the words "GS-1" and "preamp" to each other in the thread), which is far more useful. Other than the recent thread about bi-amping (which did not address the sound quality question I was asking), all the other relevant threads are several years old, and must have been buried so deep in the "Search this Forum" findings that I never would have got through the dozens of pages of thread listings to see them.

Henceforth I will use the Google Custom Search, rather than the much less useful standard search function. No wonder Google is taking over the world.

By the way, the consensus of the relevant threads is that the GS-1 makes an excellent preamp.

May 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, the consensus of the relevant threads is that the GS-1 makes an excellent preamp.

i agree.

in my limited experience, which involved using the gs-1 as a preamp for (formerly) my singlepower extreme at a minimeet for lack of splitters. 'aint nothing wrong with the gs1 save 1 thing: it does not mute the preamp out when headphones are plugged in, like other preamp/headphone amps often do.

its a small gripe, but maybe important

May 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 8
I have used the Headamp headphone amps as preamps dating back to the original two box Gilmore V1. The sound is powerful, dynamic, transparent and the presentation gives especially good resolution of the recorded space/ environment. The gain switch is quite handy too .... with the low gain setting giving you more volume control range.

3c6fb755.jpg

64d16277.jpg

May 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe it or not, prior to starting this thread, I did a search on that exact phrase, "GS-1 preamp", and spent about 45 minutes plowing through the findings. However, my search used "Search this Forum", which turned up many many pages of threads (I presume anything with "GS-1" and "preamp" anywhere in it), sorted by date, that were not relevant to what I was looking for. Your "Google Custom Search" looks like it sorts by relevancy (apparently factoring in the proximity of the words "GS-1" and "preamp" to each other in the thread), which is far more useful. Other than the recent thread about bi-amping (which did not address the sound quality question I was asking), all the other relevant threads are several years old, and must have been buried so deep in the "Search this Forum" findings that I never would have got through the dozens of pages of thread listings to see them.

Henceforth I will use the Google Custom Search, rather than the much less useful standard search function. No wonder Google is taking over the world.

Forum search uses OR not AND. That's the problem, I believe contributors can use AND option. For everyone else there is a search button in the very right upper corner that gives you option of using google search, works tons better for multiple words match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back