HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Dedicated PSU impressions
Jul 19, 2005 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased the dedicated PSU which I received this past weekend and thought I might post some impressions. I know a lot of people are interested in this upgrade but are trying to figure out if it's worth it.

The unit is darn nice looking and solid just like the Lite amp unit, very nice indeed. I will say that I have been using a Bolder Cables Type 1 power cord with it since I got it, which if not familiar is Belden 19364 14 gauge shielded cord with Marinco connectors. A very nice cord that does bring benefit but not as dramatic as some cords I have heard. Thought I'd throw that out. A standard 18 guage cord does come with the PSU and surprisingly it is a shielded cord which IS rare to get with a piece like this. I have Grado SR-225's as my main cans and use either a Ack dAck! 2.0 as source or a heavily modified M-Audio Sonica (all caps - some Black Gate - throughout unit swapped out for higher quality - gives the dAck! a run for it's money!). I do have my unit plugged into a Monster PC-1000 line conditioner as well.

Most of the comments I have seen regarding the benefits of the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Dedicated PSU have circled around noted improvements in bass performance. Yes, indeed there is a quite noticeable improvement in bass performance in my rig. There is more bass quantity now and the quality of the bass is better as well. It sounds a bit deeper to me now, more detailed and more focused. A welcome improvement indeed in my rig.

The improvements definitely go beyond the bass region and without sounding over-enthusiastic I'd have to say the improvement is across the board. Now, that's not to say the sound has been transformed or I've seen the Lite completely change into somethng that will make heads spin. Rather I'm hearing improvements in several key areas that are meaningful and make the musical experience more enjoyable. There's the old "blacker background" happening which, yes, gives the sense of sounds emerging from blackness. With that I hear more layering in the music, instruments are better separated, the soundscape is bigger in all directions and there's more air/ambience. The midrange and treble is a bit more clean and clear. You get the sense of a more coherent, "tighter" musical landscape or a wholeness within the music.

Short and to the point that's basically the sum of what I am hearing without getting too convoluted. Total transformation? Again, of course not. Is it worth the money? That's a personal and subjective call. For me, yes, I think it's worth it. The Lite+dedicated PSU runs about $500 and I can say that this combo easily performs like a $500 amp and beyond. Of course you won't be doubling the performance of your Lite if you upgrade to the dedicated PSU, that's not how it works in the audio world, but in my experience the cost-to-benefit ratio is in line here with the types of improvements we pay for in this hobby. I do think that the improvements will be more apparent for people with high quality cans and higher quality source but that's with anything like this. Based on my experiences I can say that the improvements I hear and how it has improved the musical experience for me, it is worth it to me. The dedicated PSU is a great way to take an already great performing amplifier up another notch. It's a great addition and I'm quite pleased.

Hope this helps some!

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 24
Thank you for this relaxed yet very informative review! I think many will welcome it with open arms.

At least to me, this PSU and it’s possible good influence on the overall GL performance, has been a bit of a, if not forgotten, then a bit of a white spot on the map. "More bass" and all that has just not been enough for me as a conclusion.

There have also been posts about the similarity between this combo and the GS-1. Some have not been able to resist the temptation to conclude that they should sound the same, because the PSU’s appear to be the same(!) That remains to be better "looked"
wink.gif
into

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 24
I have seen pics of the internals of the DPS and the GS1 ps looks a little heftier. I forget where I saw the pics - somewhere on one of these threads.

However, I am sure the difference is close to the point where it would be difficult to tell the difference between the GL + DPS and the GS1.

Good review Sean!

Post pics!

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 24
Thanks, but I wouldn't really call that a review!
smily_headphones1.gif
Just throwing out some impressions. Looks like the GS-1 has bigger power supply (more/bigger caps and thus more reserve and capacitance) and don't forget it has an Alps pot versus the Lite's Panasonic. I really don't think there is much more difference beyond that as far as the core internals. Given those things I'd imagine the GS-1 sounds a hair more effortless and perhaps a hair more "refined." They shouldn't be all that far off from each other.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 24
Sean H, excellent balanced review, with great detail. You've inspired me to complete my thought process on this purchase and now get the DPS for my Lite, too. Thanks for the review and the advance screenings. Also, did the DPS come with the connecting cable for the Lite/DPS and a power cord for the DPS --> wall? I look forward to sampling mine in the coming weeks. Thanks again!

- walkman

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Also, did the DPS comes with the connecting cable for the Lite/DPS and a power cord for the DPS --> wall?
- walkman

Hey Steve- Yes, the DPS comes with a cable that connects the DPS to the Lite as well as a 18 guage IEC power cord to plug into the wall AC - which (as I said in my impressions) is a shielded variety (a little bonus). Looking forward to hear your impressions too.

I have wondered if there will be an audible break-in period at all with the the DPS because last night, where it had seen about 60 hours of use, it seemed that I was hearing even a bit more of what I had stated in my impressions. If I note any substantial changes from here on out, perhaps due to break-in, I'll post them.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 24
Great, thanks for the info, Sean H. Good to know that the unit comes with everything needed for hook-up. I might get an aftermarket cable, too, but fear the DPS is so little that a thick power cable will be too heavy for it. We'll see...Shielded is good, 18 gauge seems kinda low, but prolly totally fine.

thx, steve

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Most of the comments I have seen regarding the benefits of the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Dedicated PSU have circled around noted improvements in bass performance. Yes, indeed there is a quite noticeable improvement in bass performance in my rig. The improvements definitely go beyond the bass region and without sounding over-enthusiastic I'd have to say the improvement is across the board.

I find the improvements that you heard with the DPS intriquing. I also have an Ack! dAck 2.0 as the source, although I am using Senn 650/Zu. I did an A/B/A comparison the stock Elpac power supply and DPS. I could hear NO significant difference, let alone improvement, between the two power supplies in terms of bass, dynamics, and background noise. However, the DPS makes the amp run much warmer to the touch.

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Thank you for this relaxed yet very informative review! I think many will welcome it with open arms.

I'll second that! Nice job...

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 24
Someone should lend me there Gilmour Lite so I can compare it with my supermacro before I decide to take the plunge and buy one.... Hopefully someone will eventually.
confused.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 24
Anyone, I know someone wants to let me borrow one
icon10.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
Anyone, I know someone wants to let me borrow one
icon10.gif

Someone around the Boston area is bound to have a Gilmore amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
I find the improvements that you heard with the DPS intriquing. I also have an Ack! dAck 2.0 as the source, although I am using Senn 650/Zu. I did an A/B/A comparison the stock Elpac power supply and DPS. I could hear NO significant difference, let alone improvement, between the two power supplies in terms of bass, dynamics, and background noise. However, the DPS makes the amp run much warmer to the touch.

That certainly is intriguing. The improvement is pretty clear in my rig. One thing that could be a factor here is quality of the AC, you might have cleaner power than I do. With the increased capacitance I may be getting more benefit on my end. We both certainly have quite capable cans that will show us things like this, as well as quality sources in the dAck!. You are right that the DPS does make the amp run warmer. Well, the other thing I just thought of is the power cord. Maybe I should slap the stock cord on it and then switch back to my better cord again and see what I hear. Are you using the stock cord? That's a possibility.

Well, I certainly don't discount what you hear but I swear on my grandmother's grave (rest her soul) that I definitely hear the improvements noted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 24
So the DPS is just an upgraded power supply from the standard elpac?..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back