HeadAmp.com Gilmore V2-SE Pics
Jul 29, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos3
Thanks! Very nice.

Is this a standard SE or did you have any special modifications?

Are there any vents in the case?

I had the internal wiring upgraded and I had the gain switch changed from a 2 position toggle switch, to a 6 position rotary switch.

There are no vents.

Jul 29, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
That is nice. Anyone try it with the R 10s at a meet or something yet?

The production models just started shipping about 10 days ago.
So none have made it to any meets yet.

Jul 29, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
I think Justin should have named this amp "The Beast". It has pure brute force, and power like no other headphone amp I have heard. The grip, control, detail, and texture in the bass surpasses any other amp I have heard with the HD-600s. If I were to guess how much the V2-SE costs by sound alone, without knowing ahead of time, I would of guessed 3 times the asking price. This is by far the best sounding solid-state amp I have heard in years.

How does it compare with your RKV amp with HD600???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by psxguy85
By the way, could you give us an idea of how big this thing is? I can't picture it.

8 1/2" Wide by 10" Long by 3 3/4" Tall (Including the rubber feet).

Jul 29, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by akar
8 1/2" Wide by 10" Long by 3 3/4" Tall (Including the rubber feet).

Is it heavy?

Jul 31, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #26 of 28
If you look for the "Review: Gilmore amplifiers" it was covered in detail. The answer certainly seemed to be a big step up, which matches what folks with the original Gilmore had to say.

Jul 31, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
How does it compare with your RKV amp with HD600???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Pretty much the exact opposite; I think the RKV throws a bigger soundstage with longer decay, a much richer midrange, and a sweeter more relaxing treble. The RKV has a bigger bass, but not nearly as defined, or detailed as the V2-SE.
Sometimes the RKV can sound a little slow, but there is absolutely nothing slow about the V2-SE. It is fast, detailed, and ruthlessly revealing, so you better have the source to back it up. Transparency, definition, clarity, speed, attack, and low-level detail are the V2-SE major strengths. I think the designers of these two amps had seriously different ideas, but both of their ideas were very good ones if you ask me. I believe these two amps are a perfect example of exactly why there is nothing in audio that is truly better just different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back